GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

Karan

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI
Had the same problem and it was both front wheel bearings were shot. Dealership replaced them under warranty even though it was probably caused by potholes, they said because of my low mileage they shouldn't have failed that quick. The vibrations stayed the same regardless of wheels/tires. There was no play/obvious signs of defect but they replaced them anyways and the vibration went away instantly.
Hey bud,
So just to be clear.. After your wheel bearings were replaced, vibration is completely gone yes?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Hey bud,
So just to be clear.. After your wheel bearings were replaced, vibration is completely gone yes?
Yep. Was a long process with VW, the whole story below:

First they blamed it on my aftermarket wheels not being 57.1mm using hubrings causing the noise and claiming they were bent (I had just bought them so they were essentially brand new). So I switched my wheels back to the OEM wheels with good condition tires, the noise stayed exactly the same. With the OEM wheels on they took it more seriously and at first said they couldn't hear/notice the noise or that it was normal. I insisted it wasn't and made the actual service manager take my car out for a spin and told him exactly how to replicate it (what speed to go at and what speed the noise "goes away" at - and to listen for the difference). Once he heard that noise he believed me and took it seriously. I had asked the Facebook group (and maybe on here too I can't remember) and everyone said if the noise stays the same between tire changes its probably the wheel bearings so I suggested that to the dealership.

They replicated the noise in their shop by taking the wheels off on the lift and running the car (didn't sound safe but whatever). They wiggled the wheels or whatever they do to look for play in the bearings and it all seemed fine.. A couple of the old guys who hang around the shop were convinced that it was the differential or DSG dying, but wheel bearings were cheaper/easier to fix so they replaced one (front-right one where they thought the noise was coming from). It made it a little quieter but it was still there so they were really confused. Then I think they just decided screw it and replaced the other front one, and boom the noise was gone. This was at ~40,000km and to be fair I had hit a lot of potholes (bent 2 of my rims pretty badly hence the new aftermarket set lol) so I wasn't that surprised.

The parts were fairly cheap but it was a lot of labour replacing them. VW warrantied the whole thing because of the low mileage. Hope that helps.