GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vermont Shops for Clutch and RMS install

mrs1700

I live in the Vermont-Greater Burlington Area and looking to see if anyone had any shop recommendations for a clutch install and a RMS.

2016 GTI PP, looking to get a tune soon, and wanted to do the right thing and tackle the clutch now. I'm looking at the RSR from HS Tuning and the IABED RMS. I'm looking for a competent shop to do the work for me, and pay attention to important things like properly installing the IABED and installing all of the TTY bolts where they should.

I reached out to the one shop near me and I don't know if they quoted me a "Don't want to do it" price or not. They are a Southbend dealer (but I really want to keep a DMF) and quoted me two prices based on who supplied the parts.

$900 - 10 hours at $90 for shop provided parts (Southbend clutch)

$1200 - 10 hours at $120 for customer provided parts (The clutch I actually will be having installed)

From my understanding "book" on a clutch is something like 6 to 6.5 hours.

In short, looking for opinions on the above quote, and some info on any other shops in the area - I know I didn't name the shop I contacted. I don't mind a bit of a drive, even out of state (when COVID settles down).

Thanks

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Based on this thread, it seems like 6 - 7 hours should be the standard. Not sure if they're adding in extra time for the iAbed RMS, but it really shouldn't add any extra time due to already being in there.

mrs1700

I ended up reaching out to iABED to see who in my area was a certified installer. They said Montreal or Lee, NH - 3 hours away. They put me in touch with Marc at EFI Express (Lee, NH) and he quoted me 7 hours for labor at a very reasonable rate.

Since VT has some strict travel restrictions, my information gathering continues for the time being. Once things calm down COVID wise I don't mind road trip.

martinm0

I ended up reaching out to iABED to see who in my area was a certified installer. They said Montreal or Lee, NH - 3 hours away. They put me in touch with Marc at EFI Express (Lee, NH) and he quoted me 7 hours for labor at a very reasonable rate.

Since VT has some strict travel restrictions, my information gathering continues for the time being. Once things calm down COVID wise I don't mind road trip.
Hey! Fellow Vermonter from the area. You could reach out to Sterling Motorwerks which is out behind the Burlington Airport. They were started by the head VW and Audi mechanics from Lewis Auto (now Shearer). They are my go to for PPIs when buying/selling vehicles, but I've never had any major work done there. But another option to check out locally.

mrs1700

Hey! Fellow Vermonter from the area. You could reach out to Sterling Motorwerks which is out behind the Burlington Airport. They were started by the head VW and Audi mechanics from Lewis Auto (now Shearer). They are my go to for PPIs when buying/selling vehicles, but I've never had any major work done there. But another option to check out locally.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give them a call, I literally drive past this place 4 times a day during the week and have always been intrigued with what I see sitting out front.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual