GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 vs A/S 3+ for snow/ice traction

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have some new (about 1K miles) A/S 3+ tires on my stock wheels. I found out this week the traction on light/compacted snow is pretty bad. My car came with the VENTUS S1 NOBLE2s which have quite a bit of tread left. According to TireRack though these would be even worse in the snow. Is this correct? I was really hoping to avoid having to purchase another set of tires for the winter.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
My car came with the VENTUS S1 NOBLE2s which have quite a bit of tread left. According to TireRack though these would be even worse in the snow. Is this correct?

Yes. Your Michelin a/s3s are about the best all seasons you can get, whereas those stock hankooks are just about the worst so you'd be totally wasting your time putting them back on. Best you can do with them is either sell them or give them away and forget about them.

If you need more traction, as the other said no option but proper winter tires.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes. Your Michelin a/s3s are about the best all seasons you can get, whereas those stock hankooks are just about the worst so you'd be totally wasting your time putting them back on. Best you can do with them is either sell them or give them away and forget about them.

If you need more traction, as the other said no option but proper winter tires.
A/S 3's are good all seasons, BUT not the best in the snow/winter for sure. Hands down that probably goes to the DWS06

But, again, a proper winter tire is the best answer here instead

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
You're in WI. If you're going to drive your car year round, you will be doing yourself a favor to just bite the bullet and buy a set of winter rims and tires. I run the A/S 3's for 3 seasons, my winters went on yesterday.