GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS necessary for DSG trans fluid change?

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Tomorrow I'm gonna be changing out my Transmission fluid on my MK6 DSG and I've seen some posts saying it's easy like an oil change, and others saying VCDS is needed and it's a pain. Can anyone confirm that I have to use VCDS for the change to monitor temps or can I just change out the fluid and be okay?

-DT

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Damn, that's a problem since I don't have it. Looks like I might have to get VCDS sooner than I was planning on. If it's the same price or less expensive than having someone else do it I think I'll get it.

I know Renner offered to change it for me for a good price but he's in IL and it's a bit of a drive from WI. Looks like I might be SOL for getting it done this weekend. Ugh...it worries me too because I have no idea if the previous owner had it changed at 40k and it's got 65k now.

-DT

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Damn, that's a problem since I don't have it. Looks like I might have to get VCDS sooner than I was planning on. If it's the same price or less expensive than having someone else do it I think I'll get it.

I know Renner offered to change it for me for a good price but he's in IL and it's a bit of a drive from WI. Looks like I might be SOL for getting it done this weekend. Ugh...it worries me too because I have no idea if the previous owner had it changed at 40k and it's got 65k now.

-DT

renner just changed my downpipe by the way, good guy. make a day trip out of it

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Yeah he's been very helpful with his insight and suggestions. If I could make the trip this weekend I would. But I've got a few issues with being able to leave this weekend plus I'm worried about driving very far with not knowing what has been done considering it already seems like it's 25k over it's maintenance requirements for 4k.

-DT

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
To add, I believe that it is only needed for the temperature reading right?

Yes it's to monitor the temps, which is important for testing. I'm still researching as much as I can about the change. Seem's pretty straight forward other than the VCDS part which is a little intimidating. But only because I haven't done it before, and don't have the VCDS.

Also, don't get anything for VCDS on Ebay. Do it right and get it through Ross-Tech. That's what I'm gonna end up doing if the price is too high to get it done.

I wish there was a way to test to see if it was changed or not. Doesn't show it on carfax but that doesn't mean it wasn't done.

-DT

JonnysChillCousin

Ready to race!
Lol do it right.. It's technically altering with the car when you use vagcom, so it's not right. Anyways, the first gen cables on eBay about a year ago were legit, until Ross started to lock on them, there are couple ones left out there, but suuuper rare. The ones they sell now; hit and miss. Some work for the first couple tries then stop working others work on and off. I don't know about you, but that much money for a cable is not my cup of tea. You can just find locals who do it for free or 6-pack.

Jaber

Modero
buy a vag com cable, use it, sell it when you're done?

Told you Jay. Should start a VAGCOM rental gig.

$200 deposit, $25-50 charge for 2 day usage. If you don't ship it back, you get bashed online, trolled in real life and no deposit returned.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Hrm... so having it done at the local VW dealership will charge 175 for the change (with me providing everything). Not sure if I should just pay it and have them do it or buy the VCDS ($250) and still do it myself. In the long rung VCDS would pay for it self... but I'm also worried about doing things right and I'm still technically learning. Last thing I want to do is mess up my favorite car (Of all the cars I've owned my GTI is my favorite).

-DT

Vroomer

Banned
Yea, I think if you can afford it, I wouldn't risk an inexperienced DIY. DSG is just too expensive to be learning on.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Meh... You can do it without that as well. Granted it may not be 100% accurate but just make sure the fluid is somewhat warm before you undo the drain plug with the overflow still attached.