GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS check timing chain stretch

Nathanot14

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So I just checked the timing chain stretch on my 2014 MK7 GTI with VCDS and the phase position is at 0.3 degrees. So too me that seems really good right? But when I look at other peoples data they always have a nagative value. Why mine is in the positive? Yesterday I checked it too and it showed 1.1 degrees. Thats also quite a difference. The car is at 74500 miles and when I bought it it had 57700 miles on the dash. The previous owner didn't tell me if the chain was ever replaced but with positive 0.3 degrees it looks pretty new to me right? Most people says you need to replace the chain at -6 degrees. So thats a far way from where I am right?
887F1591-BDB6-4F4A-B0F8-2C3D999C79C9.jpeg

Guto

Car(s)
Golf Wagon MK7
Hi,

Same situation here as well, I aways seen people saying about negative readings and I checked my today and was +5.1 degrees!?!?!? I know for the fact that I'm due to change anyway and I'll be stoping the car in a week to get it done.

Does anyone has any information about it?

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
FWIW-RE-VCDS Measuring BLOCK 93
To my knowledge there's NO VW spec limit on this....(which I find very odd)
What I've heard from VW/Audi techs is that + - 5 deg is considered the limit where work HAS to be done.
Keep in mind that's an indication of + or - 5 degrees.
The ENGINE MECHANICAL, FUEL INJECTION and IGNITION Repair Manual details a method to MEASURE the condition of your chain tensioner and chain
in Repair group 15, section 3.5
The MANUALS can be found here-
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f99kqqmv66pryib/AAA5LM_C4H6x4l56StzU9YO9a?dl=0