GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS change to CarPlay start up

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,
Is there a VCDS change to keep the CarPlay screen from displaying on my 19 R when I plug in my phone? I searched in VCDS and didn’t see anything.

In my other vehicle, I plug in my phone and CarPlay is enabled, but the current screen remains on display.
I’m not always using CarPlay so I’m continually changing from CarPlay back to another screen most of the time I start my car and plug in my phone.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the code for this.

oreozzy

It's funny that Android Auto is the complete opposite. I have to switch to the Android Auto screen every time I plug it in, yet Apple CarPlay with my wife's iPhone switches automatically straight away!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi all,
Is there a VCDS change to keep the CarPlay screen from displaying on my 19 R when I plug in my phone? I searched in VCDS and didn’t see anything.

In my other vehicle, I plug in my phone and CarPlay is enabled, but the current screen remains on display.
I’m not always using CarPlay so I’m continually changing from CarPlay back to another screen most of the time I start my car and plug in my phone.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the code for this.
Why are you plugging your phone into the car if not for CarPlay?

The USB socket isn't really for charging - it's for data transfer. If you're plugging it in for charge, get a proper fast charger and use the 12v socket.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
It's funny that Android Auto is the complete opposite. I have to switch to the Android Auto screen every time I plug it in, yet Apple CarPlay with my wife's iPhone switches automatically straight away!
My Android Auto automatically boots up when my phone is plugged in. Try a different cable.

oreozzy

My Android Auto automatically boots up when my phone is plugged in. Try a different cable.
I've used numerous cables, and have used about 3 android phones and they've all done the same thing.
I should clarify that if my infotainment unit is already set on Android Auto, plugging my phone in will bring it up, but not if you're in any other function (such as radio). Plugging an iPhone in will bring up Apple CarPlay no matter what function the infotainment is currently in.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I've used numerous cables, and have used about 3 android phones and they've all done the same thing.
I should clarify that if my infotainment unit is already set on Android Auto, plugging my phone in will bring it up, but not if you're in any other function (such as radio). Plugging an iPhone in will bring up Apple CarPlay no matter what function the infotainment is currently in.
Gotcha. I've never actually used the radio function of the infotainment system.

oreozzy

Strangest thing happened. Same day I said it never switches over to Android Auto from radio function? It decides I can no longer listen to my own radio or media (such as CD or SD Card). Had Android Auto running and switched over to radio, it then switched me straight back to Android, again and again! Tried Media and did the same thing! Every other function worked as intended (maps, settings etc). Never seen it do this before, very strange...

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
Why are you plugging your phone into the car if not for CarPlay?
Oh, lets see - Sometimes I use the map, or I can verbally text my daughter if I'm late to pick her up, I can play my music, just like everybody else, I guess... I just don't don't want to see the screen every time I plug in.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
CarPlay is my default screen. I have audio displayed in the center stack. I wish there was a way to have CarPlay in the digital dash like the factory navigation. I also wish the now playing would display the radio station so I could use the center for something else.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I kinda hate to admit, but Carplay has become my default screen as well. It just keeps getting better with every update. I keep it on multi-app display mode so I can have nav and music on the same screen. F'in brilliant. I honestly don't understand why cars are even being sold with nav anymore. Who the hell wants to use a system that can't be updated regularly? I recently drove my sister's 2015 Touareg with nav and the nav felt like a dinosaur. It wasn't even worth using. I'd rather car makers just drop nav altogether and drop the price of the car by $100.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I kinda hate to admit, but Carplay has become my default screen as well. It just keeps getting better with every update. I keep it on multi-app display mode so I can have nav and music on the same screen. F'in brilliant. I honestly don't understand why cars are even being sold with nav anymore. Who the hell wants to use a system that can't be updated regularly? I recently drove my sister's 2015 Touareg with nav and the nav felt like a dinosaur. It wasn't even worth using. I'd rather car makers just drop nav altogether and drop the price of the car by $100.

The biggest problems I have with CarPlay are all related to the look of it. It's childish and WAY to friggin bright. The stupid ass way they decided to show the album art, but then also have that be the background (though super blurry and zoomed in) drives me insane. It makes it all but unusable at night, even with dark mode on. I wish I could just use CarPlay for maps only and the regular media player for audio. It's much better implemented. I also HATE having to plug in for CarPlay. I didn't think it would be a big deal but my Kenwood has wireless CarPlay and it's such an upgrade. I'm going to get the wireless CarPlay adapter for my Alltrack.