GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS - 4 brake lights - Both signals?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm, I think this is what I want mine to be like, I don't want them to go out completely when signaling, want to signal with both inner and outer but keep it "stockish" by dimming between flashes. :)

Take your Leuchte20BR and 21BR settings, and compare against the Leuchte23SL and 24SL settings. In other words, configure 23SL like 20BR, and configure 24SL like 21BR.

If you’re using LED bulbs, reduce Dimmwert EF from 28 to 10.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion

cav1982

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, I think this is what I want mine to be like, I don't want them to go out completely when signaling, want to signal with both inner and outer but keep it "stockish" by dimming between flashes. :)

I'd like to this as well too. Unfortunately I've already made the transition to "4 brake lights" so need to revert all 4 to the "stockish" setting. Any suggestions on what specifically I need to change and to what values? Thanks a ton.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I'd like to this as well too. Unfortunately I've already made the transition to "4 brake lights" so need to revert all 4 to the "stockish" setting. Any suggestions on what specifically I need to change and to what values? Thanks a ton.

Revert all changes to stock / defaults.

Then see post #31 above.

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Did anyone ever figure out why the inner tails, when activated as brake lights, light up a split second slower than the outer brake lights do?

In my testing, this is true with or without the running lights on.

However, if the turn signal is activated, this does not occur. The brake lights on the non-signalling side light up synchronously.

Did you ever find a fix to this? I did this tweak and immediately noticed the inner tail light would fade in over a split second when braking but the outer tail light would immediately go to full brightness when braking.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Did you ever find a fix to this? I did this tweak and immediately noticed the inner tail light would fade in over a split second when braking but the outer tail light would immediately go to full brightness when braking.
It really seems like that outer channel is setup to illuminate quicker than the inner one. I wasn’t able to find a coding fix.

But I did install Euro outer tails with the amber turn signals. As a part of the project, and with some help from @ZERO815, I split the outer channel so that it powers both the outer and inner tail lights. Problem solved!

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It really seems like that outer channel is setup to illuminate quicker than the inner one. I wasn’t able to find a coding fix.

But I did install Euro outer tails with the amber turn signals. As a part of the project, and with some help from @ZERO815, I split the outer channel so that it powers both the outer and inner tail lights. Problem solved!
That's unfortunate. I saw some discussion about changing "(2) Driving light and parking light -schluss mit bremslichtfunktion" from not active to active, but it apparently only works for some people. I'll give that a shot eventually.

I think I read your whole thread on the ROW outer tails before. By the end, it sounded like a big undertaking to get your desired effect, but it's something I'd like replicate, as well. I kinda like the halogen tails as opposed to the LED tails.

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Confirmed that this code works if you want to make the inner tails function exactly as the outer tails do (in stock setting).

[...]
Also, something to note. It looks like you copied the settings for the outer tails directly to the inner tails, but I followed a different set of changes:

DescriptionModuleChannelOriginalNew
Left Inner Tail light functions as runner/brake/ signal09 - Central Electronics8 leuchte23sl HLC10-Lichtfunktion C23not activebrake light
9 leuchte23 sl hlc10 - Lichtfunction D 23not activeblinken links hellphase
10 leuchte23sl hcl10 - dimmwert CD 230100
Allows Signal to "Over power" brake light and runner12 leuchte23sl hlc10-lichtfunktion e 23not activeblinken links Dunkelphase
14 leuchte23sl hcl10-dimmwert ef 2300
15 leuchte23sl hlc10-dimming direction EF 23maximizeminimize
Right Inner Tail light functions as runner/brake/ signal8 leuchte24sl HRA65-Lichtfunktion C24not activeblinken rechts hellphase
9 leuchte24sl HRA65 - Lichtfunction D 24not activebrake light
10 leuchte24sl HRA65 - dimmwert CD 240100
Allows Signal to "Over power" brake light and runner12 leuchte24sl HRA65-lichtfunktion e 24not activeblinken rechts Dunkelphase
14 leuchte24sl HRA65-dimmwert ef 2400
15 leuchte24sl HRA65-dimming direction EF 24maximizeminimize
Left Signal completely goes out between blinks16 - leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtefunktion G 20not activeblinken links dunkelphase
19 - leuchte20BR LA71-dimming Direction GH 20maximizeminimize
Right Signal completely goes out between blinks16 - leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtefunktion G 21not activeblinken rechts dunkelphase
19 - leuchte21BR RC8-dimming Direction GH 21maximizeminimize

I'm kind of confused as to how you used the Lichtfunction A and B channels and I used the C and D channels result in both of us achieving inner tail lights as brake lights. Maybe this could be the discrepancy between the proposed illumination delay solution working for some but not for others.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

marianowadel

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 TSI
I did but not with coding. A member (@ZERO815) helped me with a harness and coding. Basically I had to split the outer runner / brake channel and also run it to the inner runner / brake bulb.
Thanks for the super quick response! I don't know if you watched the video, but the issue I'm talking about is the brief flash when braking in leuchte20BR / leuchte21BR even when the function A is set to "nicht aktiv"

Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Leuchte20BR and Leuchte21BR are dedicated BR = Brake light channels from VW. I guess it's a safety feature to increase the brake light reaction time. I haven't seen a solution to turn that off.

My suggestion for you is to use Leuchte20BR and Leuchte21BR as brake lights. Run a wire between each inner and outer light Pin4 to share Leuchte23 and Leuchte24 (inner tails) with your outer tails instead.

marianowadel

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 TSI
Leuchte20BR and Leuchte21BR are dedicated BR = Brake light channels from VW. I guess it's a safety feature to increase the brake light reaction time. I haven't seen a solution to turn that off.

My suggestion for you is to use Leuchte20BR and Leuchte21BR as brake lights. Run a wire between each inner and outer light Pin4 to share Leuchte23 and Leuchte24 (inner tails) with your outer tails instead.

Thanks zero, that kinda makes sense. You don't want a crazy guy turning off his brake lights :ROFLMAO:.
Actually, when I installed the mk7.5 tail lights in my mk7, I was missing one cable. I only had ground, turn, and brake/position, since halogens just turn brighter when braking.
To wire the specific brake lights in these tail lights I tapped into the wire of the third brake light and ran a wire to both of tail lights. After that, I just needed to disable the original Leuchte20/21BR channels to fully emulate the mk7.5 behavior, but I kept seeing that brief flash that drove me nuts. So I ended up doing the all lights brake mod. Not a fix, but doesn't trigger my OCD :D
What you suggest would address the issue, but going through those wire hoses in the trunk seems to be a royal pita.
Thanks again!