GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAQ or Transmission Leak?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Background: 2017 GTI Sport with ~34,000 miles. I recently had my clutch upgraded to an RSR kit. The mechanic got a small surprise when he separated the transmission from the engine in the form of a drip of collected oil that spilled from an unlikely place. Here is a photo that shows the pocket where the oil had collected:

I'm not mechanically-savvy enough to recall where this point is on the engine when it's installed. The mechanic noted that the bell housing is completely dry and there are no signs of leaking from the transmission. They found a drip on this point:

However, looking at other photos taken before the transmission was out, such as this one, indicate that the drip probably formed there when the transmission was removed. So I got under the car after the job was done and cleaned up the entire transmission and underside. I saw this when I went to clean it:

I could not declare that so much oil had leaked in just a few days since some of that probably spilled when the transmission was removed/installed. So I cleaned it and then I watched it.

After 100 miles, there was no perceivable amount of oil to see. So I checked again in 500 miles. Now I'm seeing where the oil is coming from... just barely:

The VAQ fill and drain ports are clean and dry. I cannot find a higher point that is wet. So this is all I can see.

With that, does anyone have any ideas of what this can be? Has anyone seen this before? Does the transmission need to come out (again) for diagnosis? Or is it more likely that the dealer would put dye in the oil and hope for a better look? I want to get this documented in case of warranty claim; but I'm also APR Stage 1 and expect some denial from the dealer.

Thanks,

Scott

LeGti

Ready to race!
Sorry I can't help. I do have the ams transmission/VAQ as yourself, and am due for a clutch change, so I will certainly look while mine is apart.

Looking at your first pic, it doesn't seem the clutch housing has been contaminated. Rather, the seep seems to originate at the diff and VAQ housings' interface...

If I see anything on the web I'll post back here.

How is the RSR breaking in?

SRoads

Ready to race!
More than likely just residue from the clutch swap, where they pulled the diff. My R had a little from my bevel box. I drove 500, pulled the belly pan sprayed a little brake clean then wiped it. Check 2k later to do an oil change still clean. Only time will tell if it's actually leaking. Work comes with a warranty period usually 1 year or 12K miles, sometimes more depending on the shop.

Last edited:

greypanter

Ready to race!
When I replaced my clutch, I spilled a tone of tranny fluid. That might be where that fluid is coming from. I'd suggest you to remove the fill bolt and stick your finger just barely and see if you can touch any fluid. If not, I'd top it off until you see fluid dripping off the fill hole. The video below shows you how to do it.
https://youtu.be/gyQVDtl6UWo

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the input, everyone. The leak was discovered as the transmission was being removed. They did not break the plugs to add any fluids. Can it leak even if the plugs are not removed? The shop used a transmission hoist. I can imagine it stayed in this position almost the entire time it was in the shop:

I can wipe the area again and watch it for another week (500 miles). If you look at my third photo, you can almost imagine that the fluid, or the combination of fluid and brake cleaner, flowed down the mount, and then into the dog bone. I thought the dog bone had ruptured (it's liquid-filled, right?) and that accounted for the mess there. But I guess it could be transmission fluid or Haldex oil.

Oh, the RSR broke-in great. It seemed really stiff at first; but I think that's because the effortless factory clutch made me a sissy. ;) I'm used to it now and wouldn't want anything else. :) Read about my install here.

Thanks again,

Scott

LeGti

Ready to race!
Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for your rsr review!!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Most of the leaks I've seen have been from the rear engine main seal. It's one of the more common pieces to replace when doing clutch jobs to prevent future leaks.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yikes! Thankfully, I'm very confident that the mechanic would have spotted a leak at the rear main seal. Also, the rear main seal holds back engine oil, right? I suspect engine oil would be dirtier than the pristine golden oil I'm seeing. I will continue my search. I may put some UV dye in the VAQ diff only (leaving the tranny alone) to verify that it's the diff and not the transmission that has a leak. OR, perhaps it will reveal that I'm wrong altogether.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks for the input, everyone. The leak was discovered as the transmission was being removed. They did not break the plugs to add any fluids. Can it leak even if the plugs are not removed? The shop used a transmission hoist. I can imagine it stayed in this position almost the entire time it was in the shop:

I can wipe the area again and watch it for another week (500 miles). If you look at my third photo, you can almost imagine that the fluid, or the combination of fluid and brake cleaner, flowed down the mount, and then into the dog bone. I thought the dog bone had ruptured (it's liquid-filled, right?) and that accounted for the mess there. But I guess it could be transmission fluid or Haldex oil.

Oh, the RSR broke-in great. It seemed really stiff at first; but I think that's because the effortless factory clutch made me a sissy. ;) I'm used to it now and wouldn't want anything else. :) Read about my install here.

Thanks again,

Scott

You don't have a Haldex.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a service procedure for changing the oil on the VAQ?

I've had mine drained and filled at an indy shop. 1 bottle of the haldex fluid.
There's an 8mm hex bolt on the bottom to drain, and an 8mm hex bolt on the side to fill. One would need a flexible/swivel type socket to reach both bolts, as they are partially blocked by the front subframe. For the fill, the tech told me he approached from behind the subframe with a fill pump/hose attached to the haldex fluid bottle.

Somewhere in the forum, someone has posted the schedule, which I believe is every 3 years. I'm changing mine, along with the DSG fluid, more frequently because I track the car a few times a year.

Is it in the maintenance schedule? I thought VAQ was not a real clutch-type LSD so I would say no.

It has clutches, activation is electronic. Somewhere in the forum, someone has posted about this; including a link to the Borg-Warner site. As I understand it, Borg-Warner developed both the haldex for the R/S3, and the vaq for the GTI, and other ROW cars. Some similar technology for both.

I also see StealthGTI's post #11 above; thanks Stealth!