GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAQ Axle Flange Play

averyrm

I'm installing a new clutch in a 17 PP GTI. After reinstalling the VAQ I noticed there is about 2mm of play in the axle cup in and out. The other side is flush against the transmission, it slid in fairly easily with a little rotation. The driver's side has zero play.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm installing a new clutch in a 17 PP GTI. After reinstalling the VAQ I noticed there is about 2mm of play in the axle cup in and out. The other side is flush against the transmission, it slid in fairly easily with a little rotation. The driver's side has zero play.

Thanks!

I'm assuming you gave it a few raps with a dead blow / etc while reinstalling to be sure it was as far in as possible?

I did mine a few months ago, and I had the axle end up popping out of the VAQ completely (don't ask) and all the diff oil leaked right out. Derp.
So, I had to not only seat the axle back into the tranny, I had to push it through the cups/seals just to put it back to original step 1. Then of course add fluid back in.

I gave it a bunch of hits with the dead blow while turning it and that seemed to do the trick - no leaks, noises, etc since so I suppose it's G2G. I really don't remember if there was any play or not. I'm thinking...maybe?

I guess give it a few good smacks while twisting to be certain it can't go in any further and then call it good is all I can offer.

averyrm

The cup is fully seated, and all of the fasteners are torqued appropriately. I have tried a deadblow and everything to ensure, there's still just a couple mm of play with everything locked down.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The cup is fully seated, and all of the fasteners are torqued appropriately. I have tried a deadblow and everything to ensure, there's still just a couple mm of play with everything locked down.

Did you have both cups out? Double check the other side?

Pictures/video are worth a thousand words as well

averyrm

Here's the movement.
Fully out:
IMG_20200629_133825.jpg

Fully in:
IMG_20200629_133810.jpg

Same play in the same axel on my 15 pp gti. I lost a bolt on the driver side axel after the clutch job. Re tightened everything and noticed this play too. Slightly worrying to say the least. An

Thanks!

averyrm

I found out that torquing the bolt to the exact spec did not get it all the way in. Just a few more lbs of torque and it would turn. I turned it until it was seated, and it works well now.

Corey199

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Volkswagen GTI
I found out that torquing the bolt to the exact spec did not get it all the way in. Just a few more lbs of torque and it would turn. I turned it until it was seated, and it works well now.
Sorry to revive an old thread but what do you mean? Did you torque it a few more lbs and then turn it until it finally seated? Currently having the same issue and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve tried everything this thread suggested.