GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vancouver Chat Thread

deadlly4

Mods I would recommend but aren't totally necessary:

Various VCDS/OBD11 Modifications (Remote windows, disabling seatbelt chime, etc.)

If you want more power look into a Burger Tuning JB1/JB4 piggyback for power increases of up to 35whp and 45wtq. http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group3_JB1_tuner.html

DG Springs (OEM VW accessory) to lower your car from 1-1.25inches

Happy modding and welcome to the VW family!

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely be looking into some of those, I currently need to replace the rear badge as being new to cars and not knowing what I was doing I tried removing it so I could plastidip it and I chewed up the plastic with a flathead screwdriver. The only decent looking replacement I can find is at Deutsche Auto Parts and it's something like $100. Otherwise VW says I have to buy the whole assembly for something like $800...

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely be looking into some of those, I currently need to replace the rear badge as being new to cars and not knowing what I was doing I tried removing it so I could plastidip it and I chewed up the plastic with a flathead screwdriver. The only decent looking replacement I can find is at Deutsche Auto Parts and it's something like $100. Otherwise VW says I have to buy the whole assembly for something like $800...

Which part is needing to be replaced? Just the chrome emblem and it’s thin plastic backing? Or the underlying handle/housing itself?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Just the Chrome logo and plastic piece

Dealership sells them for under $40. The backing comes with the emblem. I bought from the dealership for my GTI.

deadlly4

Dealership sells them for under $40. The backing comes with the emblem. I bought from the dealership for my GTI.

That is so weird, the dealership I talked to told me I needed to buy the whole assembly for $750, maybe I'll have to go visit one or something, I talked to the guy over the phone so maybe he misunderstood me.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
You guys see this thread over on RevScence?

https://www.revscene.net/forums/715383-psa-vpd-handing-out-vis-like-candy.html

Apparently the VPD is issuing VI's like crazy, even hitting bone stock cars and telling them to get inspections because some guy got a VI ticket and decided to doxx the cop who wrote the ticket by posting his personal FB and IG profiles.
Yep, and I have relayed some of this info to local enthusiasts that I know. Since then I've had a few police behind my car but nothing to report yet. Apparently its a small group of VPD doing this and is led by an Officer Christenssen who is hell bent on targeting modified cars. The last reported "roadbock" where they were pulling over suspected modified vehicles was on Knight St &49th

Pwesty

Hi

I just purchased my first VW 2018 GTI Autobahn, was looking for some recommendations for mods and where should I go for them, I live in Port Moody.

Cheers

Paul

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Hi

I just purchased my first VW 2018 GTI Autobahn, was looking for some recommendations for mods and where should I go for them, I live in Port Moody.

Cheers

Paul

Congrats on the purchase and welcome! What modifications are you looking to purchase? Is it cosmetic, performance, or something else? There are simple mods such as remote windows, deactivate seatbelt chime, etc that can be made through either a VCDS or an OBD11 device. My shop of choice is PG Performance in Surrey so maybe have a look at their website and you may see some things you like, otherwise there are other shops you could visit (RPI, CTS Turbo, Blitzkreig)

Pwesty

Congrats on the purchase and welcome! What modifications are you looking to purchase? Is it cosmetic, performance, or something else? There are simple mods such as remote windows, deactivate seatbelt chime, etc that can be made through either a VCDS or an OBD11 device. My shop of choice is PG Performance in Surrey so maybe have a look at their website and you may see some things you like, otherwise there are other shops you could visit (RPI, CTS Turbo, Blitzkreig)

I am looking for performance mods, Exhaust if I can so long as it does not void warranty. Thanks for the suggestions for shops!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I am looking for performance mods, Exhaust if I can so long as it does not void warranty. Thanks for the suggestions for shops!
An exhaust should not void the powertrain warranty afaik. If you were looking for a modest power bump many of us, myself included, have installed a JB1/4 unit. A decent power boost and it can be removed should you need to take your car into the dealer.

Pwesty

An exhaust should not void the powertrain warranty afaik. If you were looking for a modest power bump many of us, myself included, have installed a JB1/4 unit. A decent power boost and it can be removed should you need to take your car into the dealer.

Thanks again for the advice, I have been in contact with Andrew at PG performance and I am going to go with an APR cat back exhaust and ECS wheel spacers. I had another question should I go with VMR springs or H &R springs to lower the car or stay stock with the wheel spacers? Also do you know if going with wheel spacers am I going to put to much stress on the wheel bearings?

Cheers

Paul

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you guys running Shell 91 or Chevron/PetroCan 94? I've read both works but the VW gas cap says 92 minimum?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
16 GTI. When I was running a JB1 on map 1, I was getting some pretty bad knocking / hesitation under heavy throttle, when running Shell 91. Hardly any of these issues with Chev 94.

I’m now on Unitronic Stage 1, haven’t tried it with Shell 91. Planning to just stick with Chev 94. Car is running great with it.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Shell 92 from Blaine.

According to George Smooth, logs have shown it performing better than even Chevron 94. Marcel from HPA and Jonny from RPI agree.