GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vacuum/ HPFP Install frustration!

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I've been working on my car a lot over the past few days, fixing small issues and sorting out the build.

Yesterday, I removed the vacuum pump, which has been leaking oil on my engine basically since the car was new. The dealership re-sealed it once, but the leak came back worse due to a bad mating surface (you can see in the pic)

I was planning on adding a small bead of high temp RTV gasket maker around the metal seal to hopefully avoid future leaks there.

Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to re-seat the vacuum pump! I can get it nearly on, but the small cross-shaped piece hits the cam and prevents me from fully tightening the unit down. Is there a special way to clock the pump so that it pops into place? Getting very frustrated!

PXL_20210429_153323317.jpg
PXL_20210429_153326721.jpg

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I think that's what he's asking how to do.

Not sure myself as I've never touched that part.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Indeed. I was finally able to get it set in place today after many hours of trial... Not sure why it gave me so much trouble.

I used a paint pen on the tips of the bar and adjusted until it was close. Finally got it in by slightly pushing in against the HFPF while rotating.

Waiting for the RTV to set today then I'll let it eat.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Update- This seal can NOT be sealed with gasket maker :ROFLMAO:

After letting it all dry, the car was pouring oil out all around the vacuum pump.

Spoke to the parts guy, he informed me that the pump housing is considered a one time use, as it deforms while sealing to the metal gasket.

$200 later she's good as new...

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Way to design for repairability! How is it that removing the part ruins it forever? Seems like there should be a better solution.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Discovered mine leaking a few weeks ago as well. Not much info for the mk7, mostly just for thr mk5 and 6.

However, the mk7 shop manual I have states that only the gasket needs to be replaced. I had ordered just the gasket.

Curious if anybody else has dealt with this issue before.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I’ve changed out my vacuum pump with no issues and I’ve even reused the gasket before.

Marcelo JSO

Car(s)
2016 Golf GTI
I had problems with aftermarket gaskets (1-layer), but solved the leaking with the original (3-layer) gasket.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
next time take the hpfp off so your not fighting the follower. These should not be hard to take on and off.