GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VA: Need a good alignment shop/rack recommendation

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
Need some recommendations for shops that can do a fairly aggressive alignment setup in ideally the Richmond, Fredericksburg, or Hampton Roads area for a fair price. Installed 034 RCA Ball joints recently and will be throwing new coilovers in soon, who or what shop doesn't charge an arm & leg without much lead time? Delta V would be my 3rd/4th choice.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
While I've not used them, Auto Rescue in Richmond is owned by a guy who races Champcar/Lemons. I would at least call them up and make sure they're capable/aware of the stuff needed to align a MK7.

https://www.autorescue.com/

Otherwise I've taken my own cars to Brad at Autologic of VA in Portsmouth. Great service and knows what he's doing. I THINK it's typically $120ish? Call ahead, they work by appointment and are typically a week or so out unless someone cancels they might be able to slip you in.

www.autologicva.com

You'll definitely want to get your toe set since the ball joints were just installed otherwise you'll be murdering tires. I just helped @Redslaya install the same ball joints on his car. I don't recall how much we had to turn his tie rods, but I know on mine it ended up being lengthening each tie rod by 2.25 turns to get toe back to zero.

There was a thread about setting front toe yourself here that might be of use:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/adjusting-front-toe.422071/

You'll definitely be wanting a full alignment once the coilovers go on, but getting the front toe set should set you straight with the 034 ball joints until that time comes.

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
@DerHase Had not heard of Auto Rescue but thanks for the recommendation, seems like a great option will have to give them a call. Autologic was on my radar so good to hear they do great work for a decent price.

The toe was set by eye thanks to Josh @AlteredComponents enough to be driveable and not instantly kill my tires thankfully, did take a few attempts to get it set decent. Thanks again for all the helpful info/reccomendations as always (y)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Need some recommendations for shops that can do a fairly aggressive alignment setup in ideally the Richmond, Fredericksburg, or Hampton Roads area for a fair price. Installed 034 RCA Ball joints recently and will be throwing new coilovers in soon, who or what shop doesn't charge an arm & leg without much lead time? Delta V would be my 3rd/4th choice.

I use a tech at Brown's VW where he aligns in his off time. Are you part of the VWRVA FB club? join up and you can message him

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
I use a tech at Brown's VW where he aligns in his off time. Are you part of the VWRVA FB club? join up and you can message him
I am actually, what tech would that be? There were a few names I saw, one specifically being Michael Lindenfield who has done an alignment before on my car at a VW dealer, however, he has been unresponsive for quite some time.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I am actually, what tech would that be? There were a few names I saw, one specifically being Michael Lindenfield who has done an alignment before on my car at a VW dealer, however, he has been unresponsive for quite some time.
yup...that's who I use. unresponsive through DM? odd....

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
yup...that's who I use. unresponsive through DM? odd....
Ah okay, yea got an alignment from him a year or so ago - made multiple attempts to get him to do some other work and even recently another alignment and never hear anything back each time 🤷‍♂️

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Ah okay, yea got an alignment from him a year or so ago - made multiple attempts to get him to do some other work and even recently another alignment and never hear anything back each time 🤷‍♂️
That sucks. My last alignment was a year ago from him so maybe something changed. Post a thread on the FB page and someone else might come in

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
Hey @swcrow I saw you had previously run the EQT coilover kit. I just got mine installed and didn't get the ride height exactly where I want it so will be needing to make minor adjustments. Wanted to ask how soon after install did you get an alignment, and with the separate spring rate adjustment from ride height - will height adjustment via the damper body, post alignment, cause it to be thrown off?
29763E2E-76EB-4898-9727-06CB336AF722.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Hey @swcrow I saw you had previously run the EQT coilover kit. I just got mine installed and didn't get the ride height exactly where I want it so will be needing to make minor adjustments. Wanted to ask how soon after install did you get an alignment, and with the separate spring rate adjustment from ride height - will height adjustment via the damper body, post alignment, cause it to be thrown off
Congrats!

I got an alignment about a week later, so not a huge emergency. Once you get the alignment, yeah, if you do further alignment will be off, but not as bad as you are off now. Especially if you only drop a little….I wouldn’t sweat it.