GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VA-CA-VA... Again!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That's pretty cool! You could have pushed her down the slope if she had said no. :ROFLMAO: Just kidding! My White Sands video will feature a photo of my daughter wiping-out during a sled ride down the dunes. It was a warped image that entered my head when visualizing a proposal there. I've been looking at that video for too long! o_O
Ironically, I had to walk to a different dune before the proposal because some dude and his kid were sledding on an adjacent dune....lol.....sand sledding in July!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Oops! I missed a couple of posts or questions:

Awesome Scott! Happy you arrived home safe and sound. I’m planning to buy a full size neuspeed spare for my trip. Is that a spare in the trailer? Also, do you have an upgraded IC? If so, which one?

I haven't needed a spare tire in over 35 years! But I still carry them. Depending on which photo you're looking at, you may have seen a photo with just a trailer spare (left side), just a GTI spare (right side), or both. If you're packing a full-size spare in your GTI, are you aware that the rear interior panel is cut for the donut? Check this article for details: https://stealthgti.com/2017/10/16/spare-tire-access-improvement/.

I do have an upgraded intercooler. It's by APR. I did that during a Stage 2 upgrade. It may have helped while climbing with the trailers.

Great write-up of a fantastic (and sometimes harrowing) trip! I remember those pollen days from when I lived in VA. With a light rain, some less travelled areas can get quite slippery. Too bad about not hitting I-70 through UT and CO. I drove that 2 years ago on the way back from the Grand Canyon - it was fabulous! Maybe on your next road trip...😉

Thanks! After a quick blast to FL this fall, my next road trip may be one that knocks out the northern states in 2022.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
My daughter and I were there in August 2011. It'd be funny if it was us!
That would be cool, but this was when I was stationed at Ft. Bliss back in 1999

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That would be cool, but this was when I was stationed at Ft. Bliss back in 1999
What a coincidence! I was stationed at the Coast Guard recruiting office in El Paso from 1999-2001. I worked at the MEPS two days per week. My daughter was born at Ft Bliss in 2000. She eventually got to drive the same 1998 Jetta TDI that brought her home from the hospital. (y)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oops! I missed a couple of posts or questions:

I haven't needed a spare tire in over 35 years! But I still carry them. Depending on which photo you're looking at, you may have seen a photo with just a trailer spare (left side), just a GTI spare (right side), or both. If you're packing a full-size spare in your GTI, are you aware that the rear interior panel is cut for the donut? Check this article for details: https://stealthgti.com/2017/10/16/spare-tire-access-improvement/.

I do have an upgraded intercooler. It's by APR. I did that during a Stage 2 upgrade. It may have helped while climbing with the trailers.

Thanks! After a quick blast to FL this fall, my next road trip may be one that knocks out the northern states in 2022.
I'm looking forward to that sequel.