GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using one Tuner's ECU tune with another's DSG Tune

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I am running Eurodyne Maestro ECU tunes and running EQT's Vortex/Stage 3 DSG tune. Works super well. My Eurodyne ECU based launch control still functions just fine and is RPM programable.
Thats strange I didn't know the launch control would still function the same as I thought that was only usable through the tcu side. Why do you use eurodyne for ecu and cobb for tcu? Why not just use cobb for both?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Thats strange I didn't know the launch control would still function the same as I thought that was only usable through the tcu side. Why do you use eurodyne for ecu and cobb for tcu? Why not just use cobb for both?
I was running Maestro ECU with ED Stage 3 DSG. The ED Stage 3 DSG implements an ECU controlled Launch Control (if activated). I flashed back to "stock" DSG while it was implemented and then flashed to Cobb. The ECU-controlled LC stayed implemented. Which is awesome. Not that I really need it. Just a nice bonus.

The ED Stage 3 DSG was decent. It had great clamping pressure at load, but was really lacking in part throttle performance. I purchased a used AP with DSG unlock for a stupidly good price. Knew the owner from both FB groups and on this forum so had no concerns. I had heard fantastic things about EQTs DSG tunes and wanted to try them.

As for ECU tunes, I have stayed with ED due to already having both pump gas and E85 tunes. If I wanted to move to Cobb, I would have to pay anywhere from $500-1200 for custom tunes all over again. I also like tinkering with my own tunes and being able to code out MILs as certain components fail (looking at you SAI solenoid and N75 valves...).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Everyone’s launch control is fuel cut via the tcu.

I think Cobb and AP tunes are the only spark cut options

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Everyone’s launch control is fuel cut via the tcu.

I think Cobb and AP tunes are the only spark cut options
Eurodyne has three options when enabled via their Stage 3 DSG tune (just allows it to be enabled/controlled on the ECU side). I have experimented and can switch between the three since I had ECU Launch Control enabled before flashing to a Cobb DSG tune. The throttle cut logic does not build boost on launch, but both Fuel and Spark cut options build boost when enabled.

Throttle cut which is similar to stock.

Fuel Cut: similar to other tuning solutions

Spark Cut: Same as Cobb (but ED does not have Spark Cut based traction control)

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Sorry I could only compare them at the time I bought them. I wasn't aware Strat updated their DSG tune. Can't keep buying the updated version but it would have been nice if Strat would have let me know a newer tune was available.
When you say you can't keep buying the updated version, I'm not following why you think you have to keep buying it, there's one update that has been made, you buy it once and then you're done. Part of the appeal of the AP is the ability to update the tune yourself if a tuner revises their file.

My experience having tunes across a few platforms, the tuners never contact me personally to say they have an update to an OTS file.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When you say you can't keep buying the updated version, I'm not following why you think you have to keep buying it, there's one update that has been made, you buy it once and then you're done. Part of the appeal of the AP is the ability to update the tune yourself if a tuner revises their file.

My experience having tunes across a few platforms, the tuners never contact me personally to say they have an update to an OTS file.
I only found out that there was an updated version from this thread. I don't constantly check their website to see. Maybe they should post a thread like EQT does announcing it. Since I'm happy with the EQT DSG tune there really isn't a reason to update the Strat DSG tune. I have nothing against Stratified they're a good company.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I only found out that there was an updated version from this thread. I don't constantly check their website to see. Maybe they should post a thread like EQT does announcing it. Since I'm happy with the EQT DSG tune there really isn't a reason to update the Strat DSG tune. I have nothing against Stratified they're a good company.
There is is a thread where they posted the announcement. You posted to it a couple weeks before they announced the updated tune, and you were posting again after they made the announcement.

I understand not having a need to try the Stratified update since you're happy with EQT. The reason I commented to begin with was to point out it's an unfair comparison to make if you don't have experience with the Stratified tune that is now being sold.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There is is a thread where they posted the announcement. You posted to it a couple weeks before they announced the updated tune, and you were posting again after they made the announcement.

I understand not having a need to try the Stratified update since you're happy with EQT. The reason I commented to begin with was to point out it's an unfair comparison to make if you don't have experience with the Stratified tune that is now being sold.
I bought the Strat DSG tune over 2 years ago and didn't hear about an update until that thread and long ago got the EQT DSG tune when EQT dyno tuned my car. Like I said Strat is a good company but there's no point in switching back at this point.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I bought the Strat DSG tune over 2 years ago and didn't hear about an update until that thread and long ago got the EQT DSG tune when EQT dyno tuned my car. Like I said Strat is a good company but there's no point in switching back at this point.
Again: "I understand not having a need to try the Stratified update since you're happy with EQT. The reason I commented to begin with was to point out it's an unfair comparison to make if you don't have experience with the Stratified tune that is now being sold."

Just saying you were made aware in February that your experience was with the old Strat tune, and now in April you are saying "I now have the EQT DSG tune and it's superior to the Stratified DSG I had." and not clarifying that you tried the old Strat version.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Again: "I understand not having a need to try the Stratified update since you're happy with EQT. The reason I commented to begin with was to point out it's an unfair comparison to make if you don't have experience with the Stratified tune that is now being sold."

Just saying you were made aware in February that your experience was with the old Strat tune, and now in April you are saying "I now have the EQT DSG tune and it's superior to the Stratified DSG I had." and not clarifying that you tried the old Strat version.
"it's superior to the Stratified DSG I had" is a fair statement. jimlloyd40 doesn't specify which version of the EQT DSG tune either. He spent his money on a Stratified DSG tune and decided to spend more of his money on a different vendor's DSG tune. In his opinion, the EQT tune felt better than Stratified tune. He is not obliged to spend more money to try a new version of a tune he already felt was inferior just for the sake of comparison.

Have you owned both the Stratified and EQT DSG tunes? Also, have you run a different ECU vs. TCU tune (APR ECU + Cobb Pro-tune TCU, Eurodyne ECU vs. Cobb Pro-tune TCU, etc)?

It is clear that your opinion is that the newer revision of the Stratified tune felt better than an older revision. It would be insulting if the newer revision felt worse than an older revision...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
"it's superior to the Stratified DSG I had" is a fair statement. jimlloyd40 doesn't specify which version of the EQT DSG tune either. He spent his money on a Stratified DSG tune and decided to spend more of his money on a different vendor's DSG tune. In his opinion, the EQT tune felt better than Stratified tune. He is not obliged to spend more money to try a new version of a tune he already felt was inferior just for the sake of comparison.

Have you owned both the Stratified and EQT DSG tunes? Also, have you run a different ECU vs. TCU tune (APR ECU + Cobb Pro-tune TCU, Eurodyne ECU vs. Cobb Pro-tune TCU, etc)?

It is clear that your opinion is that the newer revision of the Stratified tune felt better than an older revision. It would be insulting if the newer revision felt worse than an older revision...
Wish that I would have said it that way. 👍

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
when was the update? I have both and purchased it about 2-3 months ago. EQT feels better hands down.