GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used IS38 Need help ASAP before I put this on my car.

Tyverus

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
I bought a used is38 for my MK7 GTI. The end goal is full E85 around 400whp reliably ( I have the low pressure / HPFP upgraded and all supporting mods ). I would go bigger turbo but this is my daily still and 400whp is more than enough for this platform IMO.

The compressor wheel / exhaust side looks perfect, no shaft play what so ever. The only think I'm concerned about is the mark that looks like a crack (is this line in the housing normal?) and the part that is discolored that look like it has grooves in it. The part that is discolored feels completely solid not like jb weld or some patchwork.. just stumped on this. Could something coming in through the inlet side damage it like this? If so wouldn't the whole turbo be shot? (again the compressor wheel / exhaust side is perfect no nicks or scratches spins like it's brand new out of the box)

It is solid 100% and I have tried to look for examples of stock is38's to reference. It's stored in my friends garage currently, but I remember checking the SKU model number and it was one of the newer generation turbos I believe it's an H off the top of my head.

Can anyone tell me if this looks ok to put on my car from a glance? I don't have much experience dealing with turbos in general so any help would be greatly appreciated. Planning to put this on near the fall / winter months to get the tune dialed in.

Attachments

• TURBO 2.jpg
    TURBO 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 70
  • TURBO 3.jpg
    TURBO 3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 75
  • TURBO.jpg
    TURBO.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 76

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
It’s fine, my is20 looked very similar from the factory.