GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not all of them, I was checking prices on the GM website and they were mostly within $1k of the MSRP before Covid. Which is below the inflation level. I think there will be an increase next year (2023 models) once they start full production. My 2020 Camaro 1SS/1LE w/PDR had a $500 increase in MSRP compared with the 2022 model.
In all fairness and no disrespect, but that's a slow selling car

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
In all fairness and no disrespect, but that's a slow selling car
none taken. It all depends on the state/area you are. Here in TX, those cars sold almost as soon as they got to the dealers. Especially in 2020 with the limited amount of cars getting to us. The plain 1SS/2SS were not as fast to sell, anything with the 1LE sold quick. This one, I had the manager order it through a dealer swap, 4 1LE arrived the week I decided to buy with the specs I wanted (1SS/1LE M6) within a 500 mile radius, dealer swap requests were sent to all 4, 3 of them sold over the weekend and I was able to get the one from Grapevine TX transfer here.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I paid $38.7k for a 2018 R with 38k miles on it about a week ago. While I could have benefited from waiting (maybe?), It's everything I wanted and I've been in love with the R since I drove my buddies 2015. I got a decent deal on the trade-in, which made me feel better about it. Once I drove it home, I would have paid even more tbh. I'm not a fan of the MK8 front-end, and that's besides the fact that you can't find a 2022 R anywhere at MSRP..

This R was CPO, so as far as I understand, it's never been tuned.. which was something I was after. I had a 2015 WRX from 2017-2020 and I never liked *not knowing* whether it had been beat to shit before me.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I paid $38.7k for a 2018 R with 38k miles on it about a week ago. While I could have benefited from waiting (maybe?), It's everything I wanted and I've been in love with the R since I drove my buddies 2015. I got a decent deal on the trade-in, which made me feel better about it. Once I drove it home, I would have paid even more tbh. I'm not a fan of the MK8 front-end, and that's besides the fact that you can't find a 2022 R anywhere at MSRP..

This R was CPO, so as far as I understand, it's never been tuned.. which was something I was after. I had a 2015 WRX from 2017-2020 and I never liked *not knowing* whether it had been beat to shit before me.

Not to make you feel bad, but I paid $38k for my Golf R brand new in 2019. It's a crazy world.

I agree with you. Every time I get into the car and drive it, I'm floored by how good it is. The comfort is simply amazing, and the car performs so well.

I'll be doing brakes soon, as well as the 40k service (DSG, brake fluid, oil change, spark plugs)

I've already done the spark plugs to cut down on the overall cost, but I'll have the others done at the dealership.

Really happy for your purchase.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Not to make you feel bad, but I paid $38k for my Golf R brand new in 2019. It's a crazy world.

I agree with you. Every time I get into the car and drive it, I'm floored by how good it is. The comfort is simply amazing, and the car performs so well.

I'll be doing brakes soon, as well as the 40k service (DSG, brake fluid, oil change, spark plugs)

I've already done the spark plugs to cut down on the overall cost, but I'll have the others done at the dealership.

Really happy for your purchase.

Yeah. You should have seen the face I made to the salesman at the dealer when they gave me the original window sticker and the MSRP said $42k. LOL. Unfortunately with the current market, there's zero leverage. I did comment on the price and how it's 4 years old with 38k miles and yet I'm paying $4k less than the sticker price was.. but when you can't find a 2022 R, and the rest of the cars listed are as high or worse.. just no leverage to work with. My buddy, the one with the 2015 R, said "that's crazy! I paid $38k for my 2015 brand new!" I proceeded to show him that $38k in 2015 is worth ~$46k on 2022 dollars. Inflation is a hell of a drug. Lol

Luckily with it being CPO, they did all the 40k service when they had the car at 38k miles. DSG, Haladex, and brake fluid service were all done by the dealer which was nice to see. I'll have to double-check the paperwork but all I have to do is spark plugs, which is no biggie. They threw new rotors and pads all around which was another plus. Good chunk of wear items were replaced which, again, helped me feel better about how bad this market was gaping my brown eye. 😂

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've been watching my trade in value on KBB. A few weeks ago it was $36,500. It dropped to $35,900 for a couple weeks. Last week it went up to $36,200. Now today it's up to $36,600.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've been watching my trade in value on KBB. A few weeks ago it was $36,500. It dropped to $35,900 for a couple weeks. Last week it went up to $36,200. Now today it's up to $36,600.
Yeah, same for the GTI, it's relatively volatile, but every time it drops, it seems to come back stronger. Supply is still borked and for those of us with remaining warranty, the value is strong.

Now if Franz could just figure out how to make my Mk8...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yeah, same for the GTI, it's relatively volatile, but every time it drops, it seems to come back stronger. Supply is still borked and for those of us with remaining warranty, the value is strong.

Now if Franz could just figure out how to make my Mk8...
I'm still waiting for an allocation on my rs3 order. They only did a small batch of allocations so far. I'm 4th on the list and it sounds like my dealer got 3 of them for now.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm still waiting for an allocation on my rs3 order. They only did a small batch of allocations so far. I'm 4th on the list and it sounds like my dealer got 3 of them for now.

Time to find someone's address and shank a bitch.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Yeah. You should have seen the face I made to the salesman at the dealer when they gave me the original window sticker and the MSRP said $42k. LOL. Unfortunately with the current market, there's zero leverage. I did comment on the price and how it's 4 years old with 38k miles and yet I'm paying $4k less than the sticker price was.. but when you can't find a 2022 R, and the rest of the cars listed are as high or worse.. just no leverage to work with. My buddy, the one with the 2015 R, said "that's crazy! I paid $38k for my 2015 brand new!" I proceeded to show him that $38k in 2015 is worth ~$46k on 2022 dollars. Inflation is a hell of a drug. Lol

Luckily with it being CPO, they did all the 40k service when they had the car at 38k miles. DSG, Haladex, and brake fluid service were all done by the dealer which was nice to see. I'll have to double-check the paperwork but all I have to do is spark plugs, which is no biggie. They threw new rotors and pads all around which was another plus. Good chunk of wear items were replaced which, again, helped me feel better about how bad this market was gaping my brown eye. 😂

This is really good news. The 40k service for everything you just quoted would run you around $600-700 total. Throw plugs in there and it would be closer to $900. Brakes for this car also aren't cheap, even for the OEM or OEM+ stuff, no even counting performance brake kits. Do the plugs yourself, they are easy enough and will only cost you around $50. The coil packs are a little hard to get out. Have some dielectric grease handy to lube them up a bit before you put them back in. Will make your life much easier the next time you do plugs. Also, have a good torque wrench that can hit the lower figures. I believe the plugs are somewhere around ~20 ft/lbs. Don't want to over torque those suckers.

All in all, you prob saved a couple thousand overall based on the maintenance items you described. And as others have mentioned, the R simply holds it's value better than a lot of other cars, regardless of what the current market look like.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This is really good news. The 40k service for everything you just quoted would run you around $600-700 total. Throw plugs in there and it would be closer to $900. Brakes for this car also aren't cheap, even for the OEM or OEM+ stuff, no even counting performance brake kits. Do the plugs yourself, they are easy enough and will only cost you around $50. The coil packs are a little hard to get out. Have some dielectric grease handy to lube them up a bit before you put them back in. Will make your life much easier the next time you do plugs. Also, have a good torque wrench that can hit the lower figures. I believe the plugs are somewhere around ~20 ft/lbs. Don't want to over torque those suckers.

All in all, you prob saved a couple thousand overall based on the maintenance items you described. And as others have mentioned, the R simply holds it's value better than a lot of other cars, regardless of what the current market look like.

Yeah, I was pretty happy to see they did the 40K service (or at least, the parts that I didn't really want to deal with myself, like the DSG/Haladex service, brake + coolant flushes). Spark Plugs will be done by myself. I already have some AMSOIL 5W40 to throw in and a WIX filter. As for $50 for plugs.. that would have been possible if I wasn't bored; ordered the Velt RS3 Coil Pack + NGK RS7 plugs combo. I'm getting the valves walnut blasted beginning of September, and once I do, going to have everything ready to immediately throw in fresh oil, coil packs, and spark plugs. I have some dielectric grease ready - will probably stop at harbor freight for a small ft/lb torque wrench.

I'm just loving the car right now. I have a ~30-35min commute to work, and I look forward to that drive every day. What happens after I get out of the vehicle .. that's another story.

Last edited: