GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think the ideal situation is you’re a multi car household and can go without one of them for a while and wait for prices to drop. Maybe even invest the money in the meantime 🤷‍♂️
Good time to be investing. I really don't need my car, I'm just waiting on the Mk8 R, and offers keep coming for mine that are high enough to make me consider selling it now. My only real concern is that the R arrives this calendar year so I don't have to claim a gain.

cb1111

Assuming they will, of course ;)
Yeah, I'm not so sure that they will drop in the near future. Tight parts supply will keep prices high'ish. The fact that rebates are gone on new cars don't help either. People are overjoyed at getting cars at MSRP and haven't even noticed that the MSRP has gone up.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
And that is the problem. I could make a nice tidy profit on my two 2019 Alltrack SELs, but what would I buy?
Buying anything new at MSRP is a pretty safe bet. Worst case it's worth the same, best case it's somewhat desirable and the used market keeps values high.

My '22 Corolla hatch has offers 5k above what I bought it for, which was only 22k. Hoping it stays that way until a GR is available

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Buying anything new at MSRP is a pretty safe bet. Worst case it's worth the same, best case it's somewhat desirable and the used market keeps values high.

My '22 Corolla hatch has offers 5k above what I bought it for, which was only 22k. Hoping it stays that way until a GR is available

Due to limited numbers, the GR is one of those cars that will be near impossible to get your hands on. Hopefully you know someone at your friendly neighborhood dealership.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah, I'm not so sure that they will drop in the near future. Tight parts supply will keep prices high'ish. The fact that rebates are gone on new cars don't help either. People are overjoyed at getting cars at MSRP and haven't even noticed that the MSRP has gone up.

It's crazy that getting a car at MSRP, now, is the new "deal." :confused:

Case in point, with gas too. The price was at $2.50-3/gallon a year ago (or 2?) or whatever and everyone was fine with that.
It went up to $5 and everyone bitched, accordingly & rightfully so.
Now it's down to $4 and that seems like the biggest bargain ever, lol.

Nice mind game....well played

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Crazy that people would buy a ‘16 GTI S for 24.6k OTD brand new and that after only six years, a similar spec GTI will be 33.5k.

No GTI should be worth more than 30k OTD, this is an economy hot hatchback with 4 cylinders, not luxury vehicle!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Crazy that people would buy a ‘16 GTI S for 24.6k OTD brand new and that after only six years, a similar spec GTI will be 33.5k.

No GTI should be worth more than 30k OTD, this is an economy hot hatchback with 4 cylinders, not luxury vehicle!
That same 2016 GTI S is probably selling for $25k now, used, with 50k miles on it too o_O

I still want to know who these people are that are okay paying that much though. Mind blowing

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Some of the people buying these over priced cars have no choice.

Others are dumb, some have poor impulse control. Some people don't pay any attention to what they can afford and only buy what they want.

I was on Reddit the other day and some dude wanted to know if $850 a month (60 month term) was a good price point on an autobahn mk.8.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
That same 2016 GTI S is probably selling for $25k now, used, with 50k miles on it too o_O

I still want to know who these people are that are okay paying that much though. Mind blowing
So, where should the bidding start on my 2020 GTI S with less than 11k miles?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Some of the people buying these over priced cars have no choice.

Others are dumb, some have poor impulse control. Some people don't pay any attention to what they can afford and only buy what they want.

I was on Reddit the other day and some dude wanted to know if $850 a month (60 month term) was a good price point on an autobahn mk.8.
I saw that, that's a ridiculous payment for a GTI. I thought that guy had to be trolling.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
People are overjoyed at getting cars at MSRP and haven't even noticed that the MSRP has gone up.
Not all of them, I was checking prices on the GM website and they were mostly within $1k of the MSRP before Covid. Which is below the inflation level. I think there will be an increase next year (2023 models) once they start full production. My 2020 Camaro 1SS/1LE w/PDR had a $500 increase in MSRP compared with the 2022 model.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I think there will be an increase next year (2023 models) once they start full production. My 2020 Camaro 1SS/1LE w/PDR had a $500 increase in MSRP compared with the 2022 model.
I was kinda surprised rs3 pricing didn't go up for the 2023 models. Before it was released there was a rumor it was going up $2k. Turns out that only applied to a single option, the Audi exclusive paint jobs went from 4k to 6k. Nothing else changed though.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Due to limited numbers, the GR is one of those cars that will be near impossible to get your hands on. Hopefully you know someone at your friendly neighborhood dealership.
Yeah I'm already on a list, well aware that availability will be tough