GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Absolutely correct.

Anyone saying there will be a crash in auto prices "when this is over" is just ignorant of the situation. There is 0 chance the market resets even after cars become available new again.

The supply chain crisis isnt ending anytime soon, there is going to be another 2-3 years of dealers sitting on 10-20% of the inventory they used to carry.

I wouldn't be surprised if this period swings the entire US car buying market into direct brand to consumer sales. These dealers cant survive selling 10 cars a month.

It absolutely is doing just that.

Ford just announced that dealerships are going away entirely. DTC sales only. This means MSRP on everything moving forward (after the market "resets"). They set the price, you pay it. It's the same thing that Tesla has been doing this whole time. I'm sure very select small locations will exist with a handful of cars for test drives, etc. But the days of loading up dealer lots and tacking on a boat load of extras to price hike are over. This also means there will almost always be a waiting period after ordering your car.

There was a time that I expected to pay MSRP OTD, or even lower. You were a sucker for paying sticker. Again, I don't think it will ever happen again. Manufacturers are going to take control of the market by eliminating dealerships entirely. This will be a double edged sword, though. In one sense there won't be any ADM on new cars, but on the other, you won't be getting a deal either. It's only a matter of time before those dealership lots turn into Amazon fulfillment centers.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think every car I've ever had has been a C&D 10 Best winner, or a R&T COY. I've managed to get some deals, but nothing crazy. I've had (and still do) some decent sales people. But I'd just as soon click a button and order a car for an agreed upon price. And I'm a finance guy, I know the numbers, I know the game. More importantly, I like the move to direct sales for my mom, who I'm pretty sure took every available extra coverage on her current car.

As for inventories and delivery times, I suspect that if you live near a large metro area, it won't take more than 24h to get most cars. Manufacturers will likely warehouse cars near metro areas and be able to distribute pretty seamlessly. Now I say that, but there are only six available configurations for the Mk8 R and I still don't have one...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I think every car I've ever had has been a C&D 10 Best winner, or a R&T COY. I've managed to get some deals, but nothing crazy. I've had (and still do) some decent sales people. But I'd just as soon click a button and order a car for an agreed upon price. And I'm a finance guy, I know the numbers, I know the game. More importantly, I like the move to direct sales for my mom, who I'm pretty sure took every available extra coverage on her current car.

As for inventories and delivery times, I suspect that if you live near a large metro area, it won't take more than 24h to get most cars. Manufacturers will likely warehouse cars near metro areas and be able to distribute pretty seamlessly. Now I say that, but there are only six available configurations for the Mk8 R and I still don't have one...

I'm still on the waiting list for a MK8 R. When my name comes up, I'll decide then if I pull the trigger. Good thing is the deposit is refundable and the cars are selling at MSRP, which is still too much if you ask me.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm still on the waiting list for a MK8 R. When my name comes up, I'll decide then if I pull the trigger. Good thing is the deposit is refundable and the cars are selling at MSRP, which is still too much if you ask me.
I'm fine with the 2022 price, but apparently we've rolled to 2023 orders now. I haven't heard a price yet, but also a little afraid that they'll stick me with a 20AE. I'm next on the list at my dealer for a manual, but I have heard they're only building DSG cars currently.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Not really a good example. In a year, your "investment in the car is $30k plus 7.5% or about $34.4. Thereafter, your investment goes up while the value continues to go down.

It is also a bit of a stretch to state that the car will lose 50% of its value in the first year. In actuality, the average new car loses about 20% of its value in the first year and then about 15% every year thereafter.

You can also look at the residuals on a lease to give you a rough estimate of what the car would be worth in 3 years.

Of course, all of this is a bit turned upside down with current conditions
Satire, my friend

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
There sure are an awful lot of assumptions being made here. In no way am I convinced that the prices of cars will ever return to pre pandemic figures. Why would they? Car companies have learned that they can charge whatever they want.
This happened after cash for clunkers. Used car prices spiked. They went back down eventually

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
This happened after cash for clunkers. Used car prices spiked. They went back down eventually
In what way is a rebate program that existed during a dirth of car supply related to a global parts shortage that has no end in sight?

xD

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
In what way is a rebate program that existed during a dirth of car supply related to a global parts shortage that

Hrm, a shortage of Used cars spiked prices. A shortage of parts spiked prices. Related... both involve shortages. People said the same thing then, that prices wouldn't go back down. Funny enough they did.

cb1111

There will always be incentives on cars, but the concept of "deals" was really the real MSRP - and MSRP was a ADM/ADP.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Bought/sold a few cars recently. Fairly happy with how it’s gone:

‘17 GTI S: bought Sep ‘17 for 21.9k, sold yesterday with 56.5k miles for 19k to Carmax
‘20 BRZ Limited w/ PP: bought Dec ‘20 for 29.5k, 18k miles, traded in for 26.5k (for MK8)
‘22 GTI SE : bought for $500 under MSRP
‘22 GR86: deposit down at MSRP only dealer

Also bought an E46 for $5k that I don’t see depreciating much if at all.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

‘17 GTI S: bought Sep ‘17 for 21.9k, sold yesterday with 56.5k miles for 19k to Carmax
‘20 BRZ Limited w/ PP: bought Dec ‘20 for 29.5k, 18k miles, traded in for 26.5k (for MK8)

I think I’m going to go look at the GR86 this week. Just curious how much room there is in back for the 7 yo. Conveniently the wife is 5’3” though.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Bought my '17 GTI SE in Dec-2017 for $27k OTD. Just sold to a local dealer for $23,750 w/ an accident on record w/ 34k miles. Definitely an odd time to be in the car market.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
So, oddly enough the acura dealer I traded to is having trouble selling my car.

They lowered the price to 31 and change.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5

you got the 17 S new for 22k????