GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
It's odd it's starting to nosedive already because the market still seems pretty dry. Still hard to find anything decent.

But, I don't think it's the main cause behind my low offers. I was getting valuations on it back in May before the drop and it wasn't much different. My offer from Carvana in mid-May was $14k and about the same from Vroom so only a $1,100 drop so far. Still a nosedive, but even when the market was hot my offers were bad. I guess it's just the MY, or maybe manuals aren't getting the same premium as DSG.
That $1,100 drop (8%) is in line with the recent weekly drops in our segment. Last week we saw a 1% week-to-week drop, that is substantial.

I can bet you anything that online dealers factor daily auction data into their offer algorithm and make adjustments to remain in a positive position (just look at the huge profit carvana/carmax has been reporting per unit sold.) Your offer could also be influenced by other factors beside current market condition. Location and local demand for that specific model? sure it matters. Trim? most likely, M/T auto....etc.

cb1111

It's odd it's starting to nosedive already because the market still seems pretty dry. Still hard to find anything decent.

But, I don't think it's the main cause behind my low offers. I was getting valuations on it back in May before the drop and it wasn't much different. My offer from Carvana in mid-May was $14k and about the same from Vroom so only a $1,100 drop so far. Still a nosedive, but even when the market was hot my offers were bad. I guess it's just the MY, or maybe manuals aren't getting the same premium as DSG.
You're right - I agree that it is the 2015 and the MT. While forums think that MT cars are desirable, fact is that the average American buyer at mass market internet sales sites doesn't want a manual.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R

The market might still be dry but people overall are done overspending. With stimulus checks trailing off, rising energy costs, rising food costs, and overall uncertainty people are curtailing spending. The hot housing market is trailing off, the hot used car market is trailing off. Cracks are appearing in some global stock markets, which will affect our markets too. I see a lot of pain ahead.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Great, let me ask you, if you know...I live in a state where the title has to be notarized. Would I have to send them a blank notarized title in the mail? That part seems risky. I used Carvana before and they sent an employee to my house who picked up an unsigned title with an attached power of attorney.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not sure about that one.

My cars have been leases, and I signed a Power of Attorney that was FedEx overnighted to me and then back to them (on their dime).
Then they eventually came to get the car (a local tow truck company on a Sunday--I scheduled), they took it away, and then I received a check two days later via FedEx for the surplus from the car & then they sent a check to the leasing company to pay it off.
So while it seems a little sketchy....it worked out.

Vroom is actually Texas Direct Auto or whatever that big dealer is in Texas or was huge on ebay or something.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Just letting to guys know the deal I got. I bought my 2019 GTI SE DSG for $30,380 in NOV-2019 with 50 miles on it. I sold it 2 weeks ago to the same dealer I bought it from for $27,500 with just over 16,000 miles. I took it back to stock except I left my DG lowering springs on it and I had snow tires on my OEM wheels. The dealer is currently selling at $32,870.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Wow, crazy times indeed. Well, hotbascosauce, what do you drive now that you sold your GTI?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Wow, crazy times indeed. Well, hotbascosauce, what do you drive now that you sold your GTI?
I used to drive my GTI on sales calls. Earlier this year I shut down my office permanently. Now all my meetings are over video.
I’m closing on a new house in 2 weeks and getting rid of my GTI tipped our debt to income ratio so that I didn’t have to have a lease agreement to rent out our first house.
Most of the time we drive my wife’s 2016 Lexus NX200T since it has the car seat base installed. For solo trips I have a 02 Ivan Stewart TRD Supercharged Toyota Tundra which I’ve had for just over a year now. My BMW E30 which I’ve had for 5 years now sits in the garage.
F9719640-42E8-4082-B2A4-344CE8A2BC7C.jpeg

542973CB-CF4F-4FE1-A58F-A3D436FACC6F.jpeg

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Cool, good to have options more than Uber. Your E30 looks like a car show contestant! She's a real beauty.

Yeah, and less debt is always a good thing in my book. Just sad to hear you had to cut loose one of the best all around cars on the planet. But, good time to sell a used car.