GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
It’s an interesting moment if you’re looking for a GTI. Surprisingly high used car prices and steep discounts on the few remaining MK7.5s meant that a new GTI was in reach for me.

With clean 2017, 2018, 2019 GTIs selling for over $20K (even some S models) it just made sense to look at new. Plus no repair worries, no wear, no quirky PO mods, no accident history.

My new 2021 MT-6 S was only $25,250 (plus an $899 dealer fee) and I got $2.9% financing too. This meant that I didn’t need to pay high interest rates on a used car loan or fork over a big wad of cash. Better all the way around.

So happy that I finally have the GTI I’ve wanted for 30 years.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Congrats Jgilber0 and welcome to the family! This forum has plenty of very knowledgable members who can help with anything from basic maintenance, troubleshooting and the real dangerous one: the rabbit hole of aftermarket car modifications. Yeah, and buying new really makes sense considering the small delta between new and used these days.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Congrats Jgilber0 and welcome to the family! This forum has plenty of very knowledgable members who can help with anything from basic maintenance, troubleshooting and the real dangerous one: the rabbit hole of aftermarket car modifications. Yeah, and buying new really makes sense considering the small delta between new and used these days.

Thank you Luva! Glad to finally be here!

I have been reading up and there is a lot of great content here. Reminds me of R3VLimited.com where I go for BMW e30 help - definitely a similar vibe.

As for the Rabbit (Golf?) hole, yes, I’ll be there at some point. Right now I’m installing spray guards (mud flaps) and door sill plates, etc to keep it nice. Next up is a spare tire well liner. (Yeah, I know, boring...)

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Jbilber0, nothing wrong with taking your time to research before jumping into the deep end. Personally, I take a less is best view of customization. I think GTIJake is one of my secret forum heroes, as I find myself agreeing with 95% or better of his content. And of course, there's plenty more that know the Golf MQB platform backwards and forwards.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Excellent. Where are you in FL, Luva?

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I'm near Tampa, east side of Hillsborough County. So, Sebring is the closest track to me.

I started lurking on this forum around the beginning of 2020. I thought, hmm, I should buy new since GTIs appear to be so mod-friendly. Then, I bought my first VW in Oct 2020. Next, I convinced my mother-in-law to get one too! OK, well all I really did was let her test drive my ride not long after I got it. That's all it took. She picked up a 2021 VW SE a few weeks ago. And she insisted that it be a 6MT. My kids now have tangible proof that they have the coolest grandma around!

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Yes, she just might be the coolest Grandma around!

I’m in Northern Palm Beach county, not too far from Sebring. Closest track for me is PBIR, only 20 mins away.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Carvana offered me 17.4 for my 2017 GTI S with 46k miles today. Bought it for 21.9 in Sep 2017. Never been so tempted to sell and buy a C5 Vette lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Carvana offered me 17.4 for my 2017 GTI S with 46k miles today. Bought it for 21.9 in Sep 2017. Never been so tempted to sell and buy a C5 Vette lol

You could also just get large wads of cash and light it on fire 😂

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

People want C5? I’d much rather have my Mk7.

Anyway the OP did it right, new is the only way to get a good deal on a Gti or GLI these days. I paid $30,500 OTD with 0% interest for the wife’s ‘21 GLI Autobahn DSG and used ones were about the same (if you could even find one).

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I got an offer from Carmax for 20k for my 2017 GTI Sport with 20k miles. For a hot second I thought about selling to them.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If the market tanks/changes, you wonder if people are just gonna be buried/upside down on these (high) used car loans.
Or is the new norm?, and then new car makers will pull back on incentives since there's still high demand (with low supply).

Regardless, it's crazy that people are paying there high prices for the used cars right now. Great time to sell, but a bad time (IMO) to buy used.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
I got an offer from Carmax for 20k for my 2017 GTI Sport with 20k miles. For a hot second I thought about selling to them.

That is tempting. But after tax and tags, dealer fees, and new parts you are likely to be $9K or 10K out of pocket. That is a lot of cash to replace a car with a lot of remaining life left.

It feels like a different equation if you already own a GTI versus that for someone like me who is buying in for the first time.

It is encouraging to see that the used MK7 market is so strong. That gives confidence in the car itself.