GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Near 0 depreciation on an almost 5 year old GTI..

Like, if you actually pay that, how much will the car be worth next year, or 2 years from now.

Well, let's see. That car should have been worth like $18k - $19k or so 2 years ago before the pandemic hit.

Now, it should be worth a little less than that. Someone buys it now and drives the average of like 13k miles a year. In two years, the market crashes back down, car has 60k miles on it, and is worth like $12k. Womp womp.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
But will that happen? It's supply and demand right? No one knows how long this chip thing will last and low long supply chains will struggle. Even once they resume some kind of normalcy there will be quite some time to get inventory back up to where it used to be. Everyone thinks that this is going to happen like an on/off light switch, "but no, I don't think so".

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
But will that happen? It's supply and demand right? No one knows how long this chip thing will last and low long supply chains will struggle. Even once they resume some kind of normalcy there will be quite some time to get inventory back up to where it used to be. Everyone thinks that this is going to happen like an on/off light switch, "but no, I don't think so".

Will it happen? You're right, nobody knows. I'd like to think in 2 years (which I'd call far from a light switch amount of time) markets would have returned to a somewhat normal place.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Manufacturers can't resist flooding the market with product when prices are high. They want to capitalize on the crest of the wave so much they usually cause the price crash by market over-saturation.

As soon as they have the ability to, they will flood the market with new cars. They can only keep prices high if they keep supply low, but many manufacturers have actually already built a fuck ton of cars and are just waiting for chips.

None of these companies have changed their business model to an order on demand lean manufacturing production.

Obviously the timeline is up for debate, but history shows us car manufacturers love to make way too many cars. They'll correct the market themselves eventually.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Bruh even beaters are up and overpriced.
After I got my GTI I sold my 9 year old F150 for $6000.

It had 347,000Km on it, and looked like it too. I figure that's close to double what I honestly thought it was worth. Buyer was a full time Ford mechanic.

cb1111

Prices are still seemingly going up. The 40k+mile thing here Pre-Owned 2020 Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0T S 4D Hatchback in Tysons Corner #9484 | Stohlman Volkswagen (stohlman-vw.com) is at my local dealership. Technically, this shouldn't pass inspection. If the ad goes away, here it is 2020 S about a grand over the original MSRP.

1655739421581.png

1655739529025.png

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have such a confused perspective of how expensive the GTI is.

Mine was $25.5K out the door. 2017 Sport with a manual trans.

I saw a 2021 GTI s for $31k, with like 6,xxx miles on it already. If you bought in the aftermath of diesel gate today's prices are extra shocking.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I saw a listing for a 2017 SE with some 60K miles for $27k.

My Sport was 26,800 before tax in 2017. Lol...going by some of the pricing...I can probably get close to that today. I just hit 24k miles.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Prices are still seemingly going up. The 40k+mile thing here Pre-Owned 2020 Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0T S 4D Hatchback in Tysons Corner #9484 | Stohlman Volkswagen (stohlman-vw.com) is at my local dealership. Technically, this shouldn't pass inspection. If the ad goes away, here it is 2020 S about a grand over the original MSRP.

View attachment 252993
View attachment 252994

Its even wearing some Mk6 wheels.:LOL:

Wasn't Stohlman one of the VA dealers that was blowing out VW's? I remember people were getting their GTIs for 8k below MSRP. My VW dealer here just rolled their eyes when I mentioned Stohlman's prices.

Last edited:

cb1111

Its even wearing some Mk6 wheels.:LOL:

Wan't Stohlman one of the VA dealers that was blowing out VW's? I rememebr people were getting their GTIs for 8k below MSRP. My VW dealer here just rolled their eyes when I mentioned Stohlman's prices.
Aren't those the "Hufeisen" (horseshoe) wheels from the Mk V? IIRC it was impossible to change the tires without scratching the wheels - the clearcoat gets scratched and looks like hell in a very short time.

Yes, Stohlman was one of those dealers that advertised insane prices but the prices ended up being no better than any other VA area dealer. This thing had a 27500 MSRP and probably sold low 20's when new.

That thing is so slammed that I doubt that it will pass inspection.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You’re probably right about the wheels. I think they are the “Huff” wheels.

The local dealers went hol up each time I mentioned east coast pricing.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Aren't those the "Hufeisen" (horseshoe) wheels from the Mk V? IIRC it was impossible to change the tires without scratching the wheels - the clearcoat gets scratched and looks like hell in a very short time.
You’re probably right about the wheels. I think they are the “Huff” wheels.
Huffs were on the MK5 (gray pockets)
Detroits were on the MK6 and had the black pockets -- which that MK7 is wearing

cb1111

Huffs were on the MK5 (gray pockets)
Detroits were on the MK6 and had the black pockets -- which that MK7 is wearing
You're right. Either way, those wheels scratched by just looking at them and they were hell to refinish - which is why you see so many of these powdercoated/painted.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Manufacturers can't resist flooding the market with product when prices are high. They want to capitalize on the crest of the wave so much they usually cause the price crash by market over-saturation.

As soon as they have the ability to, they will flood the market with new cars. They can only keep prices high if they keep supply low, but many manufacturers have actually already built a fuck ton of cars and are just waiting for chips.

None of these companies have changed their business model to an order on demand lean manufacturing production.

Obviously the timeline is up for debate, but history shows us car manufacturers love to make way too many cars. They'll correct the market themselves eventually.

While this is prob true most of the time, I'm pretty sure that auto manuf. have learned a thing or two here.

Trickling in cars allows them to basically charge whatever they want. People will pay it. Same goes for the dealerships.

I hope we get a flood of cars coming our way. Lord knows I'm looking. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.