GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
Prices certainly are going nuts again. My wife's 2013 XC70 which is right around 100k miles was a $7k car at best last year if we would have traded it in, the local Volvo dealer recently offered $13k when I had it in for service. Thanks but no thanks, I might get $6k more but any replacement is priced $10k+ more.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Earlier in the year at the end of April, with 57k my GTI was almost $15k via Carvana. Now with close to 61K miles, it is at $17.5k for a 2016 GTI S 3-door.

One can definitely take advantage of this car market if they have a newer car like we have. You can then hunt for a low mileage older car from a private seller and pocket some serious $$$. For example, I see some cars like Mercedes or BMW with the fairly reliable vanilla 6cyl engines that haven't touched salt (very important factor), have less than 60k on the odo and sell for under 12-13k. Sure you lose out on apple carplay, fun factor and gas mileage of the GTI, but if your goal is to pocket thousands of dollars then you can make out like a bandit. Or you can buy a POS Toyota for 5 grand and ride out the market, and buy a GTI again just to save some dough. Lots of options here, especially for folks who don't want to have a high car payment anymore!

I myself have considered selling my paid off GTI for what looks like $17k, and picking up an MB C300 with a 6MT or BMW 328i with 6MT for around $9k with only 10-30k more miles. But the GTI is too much of a riot to let go of.

Last edited:

max_power

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone who has decided to part with their GTI (and still around), did you part out and sell or sell modded? I would love to pass this on to someone who’d appreciate the mods but mods never add value and it wouldn’t be TOO MUCH of a pain to go back to stockish.

cb1111

Anyone who has decided to part with their GTI (and still around), did you part out and sell or sell modded? I would love to pass this on to someone who’d appreciate the mods but mods never add value and it wouldn’t be TOO MUCH of a pain to go back to stockish.
Mods, in general, decrease the value of a car. A dealer will deduct the cost of getting it back to stock from any trade in value and most buyers will stay away.

If it is an enthusiast, then your mods won't be what they want. If it is a non-enthusiast, then they will assume that the car has been abused.

What mods are you talking about?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mods, in general, decrease the value of a car. A dealer will deduct the cost of getting it back to stock from any trade in value and most buyers will stay away.

If it is an enthusiast, then your mods won't be what they want. If it is a non-enthusiast, then they will assume that the car has been abused.

Modded cars are some kind of paradox. Any time the question of buying a modded car comes up, the advice of "I wouldn't touch it, it's probably been abused!". Yet if you ask any modded car owner, they always say "I take great care of my car, it's never been abused!". So where are these abused modded cars coming from?

cb1111

Modded cars are some kind of paradox. Any time the question of buying a modded car comes up, the advice of "I wouldn't touch it, it's probably been abused!". Yet if you ask any modded car owner, they always say "I take great care of my car, it's never been abused!". So where are these abused modded cars coming from?
What some consider abuse others consider normal usage. 🤷‍♂️
There are so many variables:

The modded car that was modded by somebody who had no clue
The modded car that was maintained meticulously and the owner never had an issue with it
The modded car that was maintained meticulously but the owner had lots of problems

Then there is the question of why the car is being sold - because there were problems or because the owner has a history of modding cars and flipping them?

It really depends on the mods.

max_power

Go Kart Newbie

2019 SE w/29k

CTS DP
CTS TIP
IE IC/hoses
AMS intake
BFI stg 1 mounts
IE DSG tune
Sneeky E85/93 tunes
Innovate Ethanol gauge

VWR springs
ST rear sway
Enkei TFR w/indy 500
Aerofabb wing

adult owned and maintained. I of course know that mods NEVER add value, and wouldn't be after that kind of thing, This car is an amazing DD and the only reason i am looking to sell is i want to move on to a supra or something similar.

cb1111

2019 SE w/29k

CTS DP
CTS TIP
IE IC/hoses
AMS intake
BFI stg 1 mounts
IE DSG tune
Sneeky E85/93 tunes
Innovate Ethanol gauge

VWR springs
ST rear sway
Enkei TFR w/indy 500
Aerofabb wing

adult owned and maintained. I of course know that mods NEVER add value, and wouldn't be after that kind of thing, This car is an amazing DD and the only reason i am looking to sell is i want to move on to a supra or something similar.
There are far too many mods for a "normal" buyer and an enthusiast isn't going to like your mods.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
They're just fucking with me at this point.

vroom.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Damn Monkey, first the Haha, then the super lowball. That is cold as ice.😂

Thought I'd soften you up with the laugh first.

kevingt

I've ordered a bronco because I don't commute to work anymore and wanted to try something new. I'll likely sell or trade my GTI and trying to figure out what the private market might bring. It does have an APR Plus tune. Anyone know what this might go for privately?

2017 GTI Sport 6MT, White, Purchased Sept 2017, Stock except APR Plus tune (transferable warranty) and added the spare tire soundbox. Only 23k miles.