GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used Cobb AP Help

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Hello all, I have a question. How different are the install instructions for a Cobb AP that’s already used. For example, the AP was on a 2017 GTI and is now for a 2019 GTI. From what I read and have seen in videos about installing the AP, shouldn’t the AP install on the car and take forever (when you have to use a trickle charger)? Or is that not right when it’s a used AP? About 90% of the maps on the AP are locked to the previous car (I’m assuming because they are grayed out and state it’s locked for some 4 letter phrase? Starting with a CXMA maybe?? Then proceeds to state a sequence of numbers and letters). Is this normal? Attempted to install but stated if the sequence of letters and numbers matched my car, when I clicked on continue, it showed the list of maps and as I mentioned, about 90% are locked to the previous car

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
2017 vs 2019 GTI ECU is slightly different, so yeah you won't be able to run any of the tunes for 2017. For now, just install the applicable Cobb OTS Stage file that applies to your car and isn't greyed out. You can also connect the AP to your computer to remove any of the old tune files for the 2017.

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
This is dumb question but I’m going to ask it regardless. I connected the AP to my computer but it wasn’t read. This was before I even connected the AP to my car. I installed the macOS version of the AP manager but have had no luck with the AP connecting to my computer. Do I have to connect the AP to my car first and then to my computer? Or there isn’t a specific order?

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Dumb question again which I will probably find out once I post this reply. Do I have to have the OB2 cable AND the computer cable connected at the same time for it to read anything?
EDIT: Was not the case. Connected all cables at the same time and still didn’t connect to my computer. Might have to use another cable to check if it’s a serious issue (my computer) or the cable itself

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dumb question again which I will probably find out once I post this reply. Do I have to have the OB2 cable AND the computer cable connected at the same time for it to read anything?
On the computer just the one that plugs into the side of the AP.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I believe the USB on the computer has to be a USB 2.0 or less as AP can not communicate over USB 3.0 yet. Maybe that is your problem.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was quoting what the Cobb's website says about the AP communication
Right Cobb specifies USB 2.0 but newer standards like USB 3.0 are always backwards compatible. They have to be.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I had the same issue with connecting the ap to my computer. Experiment with different wires. I tried about 7 different wires and an Amazon fire stick wire was the one that worked.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had the same issue with connecting the ap to my computer. Experiment with different wires. I tried about 7 different wires and an Amazon fire stick wire was the one that worked.
The cable that came with your AP wouldn't work?