GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used a Cobb Accessport and was TD1 Flagged

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Prior to taking my car to the dealership, I spoke with the folks over at Cobb and I was given a high rate of confidence that uninstalling of the Cobb will not cause any issue. However, upon receiving my Golf R MK7 from the dealership I was notified that my car is no longer covered under warranty due to an engine tune and is now TD1 flagged.

I wanted to put this out there just in case someone's car might still be under warranty and requires a factory clutch replacement or haldex issue etc within the 60k mile drivetrain warranty coverage.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
We should be surprised? It’s been proven time and time again that there is not a 100% undetectable tune out there. Minus piggyback units.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Prior to taking my car to the dealership, I spoke with the folks over at Cobb and I was given a high rate of confidence that uninstalling of the Cobb will not cause any issue. However, upon receiving my Golf R MK7 from the dealership I was notified that my car is no longer covered under warranty due to an engine tune and is now TD1 flagged.

I wanted to put this out there just in case someone's car might still be under warranty and requires a factory clutch replacement or haldex issue etc within the 60k mile drivetrain warranty coverage.

Shitty news but to be clear did you 'unmarry' it (long process) or just select the stock tune?

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Shitty news but to be clear did you 'unmarry' it (long process) or just select the stock tune?

Curious but lets say he did unmarry as you have suggested here, what difference would that make?? He still tuned or flashed the car that is what the dealer's computer is going to look for is How many Flashes were done to the ECU! He could have been back completely on the stock flash and unmarried the Cobb device but that will make no difference because that would show "two more" flashes done to the ECU and then BAM, you get a TD1..so what am I missing here??

As the other posted above the only thing that is not detectable is the piggyback tune since this does not flash the ECU, which means using the Neuspeed module or JB1 or JB4 ones correct?

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
There's been some stories with guys getting their cars worked on via warranty after unmarrying the AP. So it sounds reasonable to question this.

You also wonder if it had something to do with being a new tuning platform, that VW didn't notice the software in the beginning. Now that it's more established, they probably know what to look for.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Curious but lets say he did unmarry as you have suggested here, what difference would that make?? He still tuned or flashed the car that is what the dealer's computer is going to look for is How many Flashes were done to the ECU! He could have been back completely on the stock flash and unmarried the Cobb device but that will make no difference because that would show "two more" flashes done to the ECU and then BAM, you get a TD1..so what am I missing here??

As the other posted above the only thing that is not detectable is the piggyback tune since this does not flash the ECU, which means using the Neuspeed module or JB1 or JB4 ones correct?

I ask as I've had a Mazdaspeed 3 Cobb tuned before and there's a difference between selecting 'stock tune' on the device vs unmarrying it to the car. People can sometimes mix those two options up.

Evidence on the Cobb tuner seems to be spotty at best regarding warranty/TD1 so the more info the better.

bcgti

Ready to race!
All tunes are detectable, no exceptions

I would tend to agree that all tunes, piggyback included, are detectable but it's still valuable info to get from those who have had first hand experience. Helps those who want to jump in make better decisions.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
All tunes are detectable, no exceptions

Can you please provide any proof of that statement? or is that just your opinion??

Has anyone on this forum received a TD1 using a JB1 or JB4 or neuspeed piggyback unit???

The piggyback unit is not a flash tune it manipulates the signals after the ECU to my knowledge. VW is looking for how many Flashes to the ECU is how they are catching and red flagging your car with a TD1. There is no flash to the ECU with a piggyback unit period! Unless a JB1 or JB4 user was dumb enough to leave it on there when taking the car in for service then yes I can see how they would get a TD1 also but nowhere have I read any receiving a TD1 using these other two products.

nate704

Go Kart Champion

Welcome to 21st century cave man!

All ECU tunes will get TD1 flags. As soon as the tech hooks up that reader, it will automatically sends all the info to the VW mothership, and you get TD1 automatically.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
I'll probably get flamed for stating this again, but. . .

I'm still not flagged TD1. The full story is posted elsewhere, check my post history if curious, but it includes multiple visits and several expensive parts replaced, and evidence provided for validation.

After ~9 total visits, at least 4 included the VW tech line, the last a "QRT" (Qualified Regional Technician), and 3 explicit checks for a TD1 flag in the work notes; I've remained TD1 free.

I've no explanation for why I haven't been flagged and others have.

I did a full uninstall/unmarry process each time, had no issues yet. I have ECU and DSG loaded.

It is worth note, even after removing the DSG tune, the MFD still shows D1-D6 (or S1-S6 if in sport). So it's not returning EVERYTHING back the way it was.

As always, DYODD/YMMV etc...

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
What did you take the car in for that would cause it to need an ECU dump sent to Germany? New Haldex pump?

I took it in for a Haldex diagnosis. My R is behaving like a FWD mess under acceleration. I showed them the code C111307 output from my OBDEleven, took 'em for a test drive, and showed 'em a video of what I was experiencing. However, they still concluded: No issue.

We should be surprised? It’s been proven time and time again that there is not a 100% undetectable tune out there. Minus piggyback units.

Well depends what your initial assumptions are. I thought I was in the clear after talking with the Cobb folks. But at least now folks know.

Yeap! Full uninstall.

All ECU tunes will get TD1 flags. As soon as the tech hooks up that reader, it will automatically sends all the info to the VW mothership, and you get TD1 automatically.

Thanks for the compliment. It's been a while since I've used the dealership service.

I'll probably get flamed for stating this again, but. . .

I'm still not flagged TD1. The full story is posted elsewhere, check my post history if curious, but it includes multiple visits and several expensive parts replaced, and evidence provided for validation.

After ~9 total visits, at least 4 included the VW tech line, the last a "QRT" (Qualified Regional Technician), and 3 explicit checks for a TD1 flag in the work notes; I've remained TD1 free.

I've no explanation for why I haven't been flagged and others have.

I did a full uninstall/unmarry process each time, had no issues yet. I have ECU and DSG loaded.

It is worth note, even after removing the DSG tune, the MFD still shows D1-D6 (or S1-S6 if in sport). So it's not returning EVERYTHING back the way it was.

As always, DYODD/YMMV etc...

That's pretty cool! I was told by my service advisor that as soon as they hook it up to their diagnostic tool, and is mandated by VW that each dealer does this as outlined in their service protocol, they'd see a tune.

Last edited:

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie

You do not get TD1 automatically, that statement is false.

My car has been hooked up to their system multiple times, and never flagged.