GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2018 Autobhan vs CPO 2019 SE w/ experience package

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Hi, this is my first post here.

I am looking for a used GTI and will own it at least 5-6 years.

I have two options for now with same price: used 2018 Autobahn or CPO 2019 SE with Experience package. 2018 one has 7,000 miles and 2019 one has 14,000 miles.

So it is like more options from Autobhan vs warranty from CPO. 2018 has margin of 4 years/69,000 miles while 2019 has margin of 7 years/82,000 miles. But the warranty is as the which ever comes first, so I think the "real" difference here is if I can own it without warranty for 1-2 years without big spending.

I drive 13,000 miles per year and drive 5 hours on weekends where I came up with the need for features of auto cruise control with lane keep assistant - I know it won't support full stop, however, 95% is highway, so it should be okay.

<Long story short>
Based on my calculation, if I purchase 2018, the warranty will be expired at the end of 2024, so I should own it without warranty about 1-2 years. If I purchase 2019, I will have full warranty. I like genuine, so not considering tune at the moment. I also don't care 8 hp and 7 speed DSG - it seems there are no significant differences.

For now, my preference is 2018 model over 2019 since I think lane keep assistant would be pretty helpful for long drive for unintentional drive off the lane. 2018 is from Carvana, and for 2019, I need to do 17 hours drive to pick that up (or ask delivery since I can trust the CPO).

It's pretty long question but let me know your opinions. Thank you!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have made up your mind. You can't go wrong with either choice.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I purchased my car from Carvana back in August and it was probably the best car buying experience I have ever had, but then again I don't care too much for car dealers at all.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
MK7 and 7.5 is a pretty solid platform and you cant go wrong with either of those. If i were you, i would prefer the 2019.

I would recommend inspecting the vehicle even if its a CPO. Dealers are not diligent in their checklist and there have been instances that tuned vehicles were sold as CPO by Audi / VW dealers in the past.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I purchased my car from Carvana back in August and it was probably the best car buying experience I have ever had, but then again I don't care too much for car dealers at all.
The one I'm looking at is actually from Vroom, not Carvana. But, they have same policy although it looks like Carvana is more rated.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
MK7 and 7.5 is a pretty solid platform and you cant go wrong with either of those. If i were you, i would prefer the 2019.

I would recommend inspecting the vehicle even if its a CPO. Dealers are not diligent in their checklist and there have been instances that tuned vehicles were sold as CPO by Audi / VW dealers in the past.
Thanks. Is it because of the factory warranty? And, yes, I am thinking inspecting vehicle after getting it, although not sure where to ask the inspection..

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Thanks. Is it because of the factory warranty? And, yes, I am thinking inspecting vehicle after getting it, although not sure where to ask the inspection..

Yes and newer MY would be little appealing when you resell it as well. .

It might be better to perform everything before signing the paperwork. I would inspect the vehicle using a local independent VAG shop. Also a confirmation from the dealer that the vehicle does not have TD1 flag in the VW database even though its CPOed.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
My own opinion...

2018 over the 2019

The DSG250 (6 speed) stock TCU software vs DQ381 (7 speed) stock TCU software is the deciding factor for me. I hate the operation of the DSG381 with the stock TCU software in the GTI.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI