GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2016 GTI or 2017 GTI?? New GTI Owner

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
The only diff I can think of is the 2017 had some minor revisions to the infotainment system, and included the on-screen guages, which you can't get on the 2016s. Not really a deal breaker by any means though.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Does the 2016 have the Performance Pack? If so, I'd go with that one. PP wasn't available on a 2017 S as they offered the Sport.

Any other factory options in one and not the other, such as the lighting package?

Some of these details are important.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You definitely want a 2017, and the performance pack (PP come with LSD, and you definitely want that). The lighting package is good, but expensive to replace parts, those assemblies are stupid $. If you get halogens, easy upgrade to an aftermarket LED setup. 2017 has the newer infotainment, with the notable addition of accepting up to a 256GB SD memory card for music/songs (I love this). My buddies 2016 does not have it.

Cheers and good luck.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
You definitely want a 2017, and the performance pack (PP come with LSD, and you definitely want that).

No PP option on the 2017 S. Sport and up.

1663765548296.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The only diff I can think of is the 2017 had some minor revisions to the infotainment system, and included the on-screen guages, which you can't get on the 2016s. Not really a deal breaker by any means though.

2016's could have those gauges as well. My 2016 SE had them all.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
No PP option on the 2017 S. Sport and up.

View attachment 261158
Yes, I am aware. He would have to move up in trim level. Personally, I wouldn't buy one without the PP, unless money for a wavetrac was in the mix. Its easier to just get a PP equipped car.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Yes, I am aware. He would have to move up in trim level. Personally, I wouldn't buy one without the PP, unless money for a wavetrac was in the mix. Its easier to just get a PP equipped car.
Depends on what your plans are with the car. If you're planning on doing a diff + BBK it negates the reason to spend extra on the PP (unless you really need 310mm rear brakes). If you're not planning on doing those, the PP would be the better buy.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
MY2017 is when they start cost cutting for NAR.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Hmm, my 17 is an SE: 6MT, PP, LP, leather, roof.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
MY2017 is when they start cost cutting for NAR.
Came to post this.
Might not have the light ring on the cigarette lighter, felt lined & cooled glovebox, underseat drawer, among other things

Not sure when in 2017 they stopped including some of that, but some 17's have them and some don't.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Came to post this.
Might not have the light ring on the cigarette lighter, felt lined & cooled glovebox, underseat drawer, among other things

Not sure when in 2017 they stopped including some of that, but some 17's have them and some don't.
Mine has all that, save for the light ring on the cigarette lighter?? Thanks, now I want it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Last edited: