GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2016 GTI or 2017 GTI?? New GTI Owner

DSNoravong

Car(s)
2014 VW Golf
Hello,

Wanted to get some opinions since I'm looking to purchase a used 2016 or 2017 VW GTI S.

Options:

#01:
Used 2017 VW GTI S with 81K miles & 2 previous owners. Buying this from Carvana for $20,600 (not including taxes & $490 shipping fees).
*On Carvana site, car has some noticeable repair on hood at 2 locations, but hard to see from pics they posted.
*Originally I was suppose to get this car today, but Carvana postponed it another week out since they said they are having delivery issues.
*Comes with 7 days return money back guarantee.

#02: Used 2016 VW GTI S with 84K miles & 1 previous owner. Buying this from Carmax for $19,998 (not including taxes & $199 shipping fees). Comes with (2) new tires.
*Comes with 30 days return money back guarantee.

Notes:
1. Once I get either car I plan to get it fully inspected thoroughly to make sure no major modifications has been done previously.

2. I been trying to research which GTI model year (2016 or 2017) is better to buy so I don't have turbo/engine issues later. I heard the later MK7 are better to buy since VW tends to fix issues from early models.

3). I know its ideal to get a low mileage car, but with the car market right now $24-$30K is out of my price range.

I plan to just used this car to drive from home to work (10-15 miles/day) & not planning to mod it at all. I currently have a 2014 VW golf & I just love the feel & drive of the car.

If there was a post about this already, I apologize ahead & thank you for your feedbacks.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
2017 is better, from what I’ve heard.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Hello,

Wanted to get some opinions since I'm looking to purchase a used 2016 or 2017 VW GTI S.

Options:

#01:
Used 2017 VW GTI S with 81K miles & 2 previous owners. Buying this from Carvana for $20,600 (not including taxes & $490 shipping fees).
*On Carvana site, car has some noticeable repair on hood at 2 locations, but hard to see from pics they posted.
*Originally I was suppose to get this car today, but Carvana postponed it another week out since they said they are having delivery issues.
*Comes with 7 days return money back guarantee.

#02: Used 2016 VW GTI S with 84K miles & 1 previous owner. Buying this from Carmax for $19,998 (not including taxes & $199 shipping fees). Comes with (2) new tires.
*Comes with 30 days return money back guarantee.

Notes:
1. Once I get either car I plan to get it fully inspected thoroughly to make sure no major modifications has been done previously.

2. I been trying to research which GTI model year (2016 or 2017) is better to buy so I don't have turbo/engine issues later. I heard the later MK7 are better to buy since VW tends to fix issues from early models.

3). I know its ideal to get a low mileage car, but with the car market right now $24-$30K is out of my price range.

I plan to just used this car to drive from home to work (10-15 miles/day) & not planning to mod it at all. I currently have a 2014 VW golf & I just love the feel & drive of the car.

If there was a post about this already, I apologize ahead & thank you for your feedbacks.
As for any turbo issues between a '16 or 17, I don't believe there is any difference.
If there is a difference, it would lie in which car was treated better - as in oil changes and lack of abuse - rather than in model year.
Supposedly some early 2015's had turbo issues (mine is an early 2015 with 66,000 miles and never had a turbo issue) and there was a turbo revision somewhere in the 2015 model year if memory serves.
I never checked the number on the back of my turbo to see if mine is the revised on or not, because I'm not going to swap it out anyway.
I like your GTI #02 for having one owner, no visible repair damage, and a 30 day return.
I'd take that over being one model year older, and with a very marginal 8,000 miles more.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I’d go with whatever CARFAX report looked better and would lean to the 1 owner. You’ll have to pay the shipping fees for both.

DSNoravong

Car(s)
2014 VW Golf
As for any turbo issues between a '16 or 17, I don't believe there is any difference.
If there is a difference, it would lie in which car was treated better - as in oil changes and lack of abuse - rather than in model year.
Supposedly some early 2015's had turbo issues (mine is an early 2015 with 66,000 miles and never had a turbo issue) and there was a turbo revision somewhere in the 2015 model year if memory serves.
I never checked the number on the back of my turbo to see if mine is the revised on or not, because I'm not going to swap it out anyway.
I like your GTI #02 for having one owner, no visible repair damage, and a 30 day return.
I'd take that over being one model year older, and with a very marginal 8,000 miles more.
Looking at the carfax, the 2016 was a personal 1 owner car & the 2017 was a leased & personal 2 owners car.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Looking at the carfax, the 2016 was a personal 1 owner car & the 2017 was a leased & personal 2 owners car.
That information would steer me towards the 2016.
There could be other variables of course, but previous ownership is in the favor of the 2016.