GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB 'No Source Available' messgage.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Asked about this about a year ago, and never got it sorted, and hoping maybe some of you have experienced this and found a solution. Car is a 2017 Alltrack S with the CD/control module in the glovebox.

Have any of you gotten this error when using a USB source for music? - "No source available". I get this periodically when switching on the ignition even though the USB flash drive was never unplugged and was working fine prior. When this happens it doesn't even show USB being an option when I press the 'source' button. The only way I can get it working again is a reboot. I've tried multiple devices and tried formatting in ExFat.

It should be noted that the SD card on the module works flawlessly.

Just to review:

Formatted in ExFat.
Tried at least 10 different USB flash drives.
Contains around 15~ gigs of mp3's.

Really hoping someone can offer some guidance.

Thanks!

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Check wiring behind the main unit in the glove box as well as the other end - behind the USB port.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I see this occasionally as well.

The only correlation I can find is that it's most likely to happen when it's humid.

It won't come back unless you turn off the car for a significant amount of time.

It's not the USB stick itself so I wouldn't spend too much time pursuing that angle. I've tried several brands of sticks and it eventually happens to all of them.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I see this occasionally as well.

The only correlation I can find is that it's most likely to happen when it's humid.

It won't come back unless you turn off the car for a significant amount of time.

It's not the USB stick itself so I wouldn't spend too much time pursuing that angle. I've tried several brands of sticks and it eventually happens to all of them.

It happens to me regardless of the weather/temperature. I wonder if it has something to do with the system trying connect to Android Auto or CarPlay.. I wonder if you can use VCDS to disable those, and code the port to be data only.

The SD card works flawlessly, but my laptop and other computers in my home and office only have USB ports, and I don't always have my adapter with me.

It's always something..