GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB in Cubby Wattage Output

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So I know it's 5v but how many watts is it capable of delivering, so I can figure out if it's worth it to plug in a Qi charger. My guess is it's not worth it and to just use a 12v adapter and a USB-C cable. Which brings me to I'll need one that's capable of putting out 10 watts. Sooo, which ones do you use for charging?

Last edited:

sirripo

At least in my 2016 (with Android Auto) it seems to charge faster than it drains even with nav and music going - my car is in getting the sunroof checked for leaks right now but I'll check with my USB power meter once I have it back. I'd wager at least 5V 2A since it doesn't drain faster than it charges.

sirripo

Looks like 5v 1A more or less. This was with spotify and google maps going via Android Auto
20210303_112632.jpg

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
You will be better off using a separate USB QC 3.0 charger hard wired or plugged on the cigarette lighter socket. Since the usb port off of the cubby is connected to the head unit for AA or Apple play, i wont risk drawing out too much power and damaging it.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I managed to get 7 watts out of it using a low resistance cable in to a Pixel 3. I agree that using the 12v socket or hard wiring is probably a better approach.

PXL_20210305_204310570.jpg

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Nice meter. Didn't know it even existed.
They're neat. I saw Dave Jones from EEVBlog use one and an adjustable USB load and immediately got them. There's much better ones too with more accuracy and features; it's ridiculous.