GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB C cable

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I'm tired of the USB C cable that came with my phone, using it to connect to Android Auto. Coiled up, it takes up the space in the cubbyhole, uncoiled, it goes all over. I tried a shorted one (Monoprice?) and had connection trouble, maybe it was too short, or defective? I got frustrated and stopped using it.
So, what size/brand do you use? Trivial, sure, but it would clean up the look in my interior. I'm looking for something plain and unobtrusive, my phone rests upright/sideways in front of the cubbyhole.
(2017 GTI SE, 6.5" touchscreen with Fender Audio)

Last edited:

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I decided that a major issue that prevents me from just chucking the phone into the cubby is that the phone is longer than my last one, so the cable sticks straight out into my stick shift. So, I researched some right-angle USB-C cables, and found two on Amazon, one of which specifically stated it did NOT work with Android Auto! The other one had several reviews that said it did work, so I ordered that:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNJ1DMM6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The right-angle should keep the cable away from my shifter. Available only in a 3-pack (?? who needs 3 of these on a regular basis?) for a good price. Due to arrive on Wednesday, but I'll have the car up on jacks for a day or two then, after the bad weather passes. (I do work in the driveway.)

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I'm tired of the USB C cable that came with my phone, using it to connect to Android Audio. Coiled up, it takes up the space in the cubbyhole, uncoiled, it goes all over. I tried a shorted one (Monoprice?) and had connection trouble, maybe it was too short, or defective? I got frustrated and stopped using it.
So, what size/brand do you use? Trivial, sure, but it would clean up the look in my interior. I'm looking for something plain and unobtrusive, my phone rests upright/sideways in front of the cubbyhole.
(2017 GTI SE, 6.5" touchscreen with Fender Audio)

Why not use a wireless Android Auto dongle like Cuzoe mentioned? There are a couple of options that work really well.

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I never knew they made wireless Android Auto dongles!
I did a search just now, they look to be 10x the price of a simple right-angle cable... unless you have any recommendations that are better.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I never knew they made wireless Android Auto dongles!
I did a search just now, they look to be 10x the price of a simple right-angle cable... unless you have any recommendations that are better.
But I did reply to your post, mentioning the dongles 😁
No interest in one of the wireless Android Auto dongles?

I suppose you could look at the cost comparison... but it seems only slightly relevant. One is just a cable and the other is receiver/electronics that gives you wireless android auto. I have not needed to open my cubby or worry about a cable/phone sticking out near my shifter in at least a year. And I'm not worried about said cable failing intermittently, or keeping extra cables on hand. I get in the car, by the time I pull away Android Auto is on my screen 🤷‍♂️.

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Yes, you replied to my post... I didn't mention that I had already ordered the cable (actually, a 3-pack) prior to seeing your post. The cost is highly relevant, to a cheapo like me! "Just a cable" is what I was looking for, but I appreciate the option you brought up. What brand are you using, that is working reliably?
I tend to use Android Auto occasionally, when I'm going to a brewpub I haven't been to before, for example.
One of the 3 cables can go to my wife's car, I bought her a new phone (with USB-C) for Christmas, and haven't replaced her car cable yet.

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Got the cable, it appears to work... but Waze loaded slowly. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly, I'll have to try it again, but I've been home and haven't gone anywhere.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
A better solution to keep the cubby (mostly) freed + have your phone in a usable and sensible place is to invest in a ProClip mount. In our cars, the mount location is primo. Granted, this does nothing to get rid of the cable, but if you don't cheap out and just get a short one then it's not a big deal.
20191225_113158-01.jpg

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Nice! That's a sweet option!
But... the short cable and phone face-down in the cubby works fine for whenever I need it. (Occasionally, that is.)

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I've been considering a right angle usb cable so I could run it behind the center console and have it come out through the vents, as I mount my phone between the vents, but I never knew about the wireless dongle. That might encourage me to use AA more often but I dislike that it forces me to answer my phone calls through AA vs my ear piece.

Does that ProClip mount ever get in the way of the passenger?

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I've been considering a right angle usb cable so I could run it behind the center console and have it come out through the vents, as I mount my phone between the vents, but I never knew about the wireless dongle. That might encourage me to use AA more often but I dislike that it forces me to answer my phone calls through AA vs my ear piece.

Does that ProClip mount ever get in the way of the passenger?
I had the proclip mount until I installed the OEM wireless charger. To answer your question, yes, I found that any of the very few passengers I had would invariably knock their knee into the proclip mount every damn time. It is a nice location for the driver though.