GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB C cable

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm using AAWireless dongle... https://www.amazon.com/AAWireless-2022-Wireless-Automatically-Companion/dp/B0B71XC7VG

Available on Amazon now, I backed on Indiegogo year(s) ago so I've had mine for some time, works great. Updated regularly, although I haven't updated mine since I got it since everything has worked.

I have one and I love it.....80% of the time. I sometimes get a lot of lag, up to 10 seconds when changing tracks, and sometimes the screen is just blank and I have to reboot the headunit. Do you ever run into that?

I have a 2017 Alltrack with the basic non nav unit with the control unit in the glovebox. Perhaps there's a setting I need to change..??..

Again was just curious if you ever experienced this,,

Thanks!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have one and I love it.....80% of the time. I sometimes get a lot of lag, up to 10 seconds when changing tracks, and sometimes the screen is just blank and I have to reboot the headunit. Do you ever run into that?

I have a 2017 Alltrack with the basic non nav unit with the control unit in the glovebox. Perhaps there's a setting I need to change..??..

Again was just curious if you ever experienced this,,

Thanks!
I have not experienced that. I have MIB 2.5 though, which is going to be running a different software version (not necessarily newer, but different) and different versions have their quirks. It has been rock solid for me. Occasionally, like maybe once a month, my phone seems to get into a weird state and I have to reset the phone, but nothing on the car side.

There is a "VW Fix" in the AAWireless companion app, might be worth a shot. I actually don't have the companion app installed on my phone. It isn't required to use the dongle though. Since I've had no problems I never bothered to install the app or do any updates.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Cuzoe I have a hacked MIB2.5 and do experience lag with the carlinkit 4.0 and CPlay2Air dongles. Roughly 2-3 seconds of delay. I also experienced lag on my original MIB2 though.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I only have experience with the AAWireless dongle, and it's just just being wired with regard to lag... none to consider.

I do have one weird spot, on the exact same stretch of road every morning< where Android auto hiccups The GPS position lags first by about 200 yards then it catches up along with the music skipping to catch up, then it's fine for the rest of my short drive. This I only start a noticing with my pixel 7 and it does it wired or wireless. It's super weird.

I even ruled out that it was just happening ~5 minutes into my drive by taking a few different routes to work and I experience no lag unless I make the left onto Woodley off of Sherman Way, lol.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I only have experience with the AAWireless dongle, and it's just just being wired with regard to lag... none to consider.

I do have one weird spot, on the exact same stretch of road every morning< where Android auto hiccups The GPS position lags first by about 200 yards then it catches up along with the music skipping to catch up, then it's fine for the rest of my short drive. This I only start a noticing with my pixel 7 and it does it wired or wireless. It's super weird.

I even ruled out that it was just happening ~5 minutes into my drive by taking a few different routes to work and I experience no lag unless I make the left onto Woodley off of Sherman Way, lol.
This happens to me too along the stretch of highway outside DC that runs past the NSA building in Ft. Meade. I assume it’s by design, though 😂

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I have had it since July. 98% of the time it has automatically paired with my phone by the time I've backed out of the driveway. Every once and a while it gets funky and the phone has trouble connecting. I'm not sure it is the Motorola though, I think it is the phone. For example last week the phone wouldn't connect but it also wouldn't connect to my ear buds. Power cycled the phone and repaired buds but didn't have to repair the Motorola, it just connected like normal.

I'd buy it again.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I have had it since July. 98% of the time it has automatically paired with my phone by the time I've backed out of the driveway. Every once and a while it gets funky and the phone has trouble connecting. I'm not sure it is the Motorola though, I think it is the phone. For example last week the phone wouldn't connect but it also wouldn't connect to my ear buds. Power cycled the phone and repaired buds but didn't have to repair the Motorola, it just connected like normal.

I'd buy it again.
I got mine already from amazon, and it works great! Honestly wireless Android Auto was one reason I wanted to upgrade to Mk8, but now that I did this simple mod, I'll just keep my 7.5 for a few more years.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Follow-up on the USB C right-angle cable... I had trouble with it disconnecting from Android Auto in the middle of a drive, plugging it back in fixed it, then it would disconnect again... I wondered if I had damaged it somehow, so replaced it with one of the other 3 out of the package, and got the same thing. So, I replaced it with the long, straight cord that came with the phone... no problems!
Therefore, I conclude that the particular USB cable that I had linked to in my earlier post is not reliable for Android Auto use, and I rescind my recommendation. I'll keep searching...

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Perhaps the internal solders are cracked thereby implying poorer quality?

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
if you haven't already tried, uGreen and Ainope cables have worked well for me and they have short right angle C cables.

That said, I switched to AA Wireless with the recent price drop, ($79) as well. I found that the USB port can't keep the new phone charged while running AA. I can keep the cubby closed for the most part now. Have a GaN charger for long trips.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
find someone selling a used d-dock with the cable for your phone (lightning or usb c) for cheap. new ones are like 100

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Currently testing a Sunguy "USB C Android Auto cable 1.5 ft"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVFHNCJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Have not had the same issue (so far). Unfortunately, the return window is closed on the set of 3 cables that don't work reliably. Not a lot of money involved, these 3 bad cables cost only as much as my one good cable (9 bucks). The Ainope cables I considered, but the cables are much longer (6.6 ft)