GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USA vs EU internals

Nightgreys3

Hi !
I know that the europe engine is different because it has MPI but i was searching a thread on forum And i didn’t find an answer.

Are there bigger differences beetwen motor internals like rods, camshafts . Etc ?

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
You have to be specific. There are lots of differences, and lots of similarities, depending upon which exact engines you are comparing.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
lets say OP is talking about a Golf R made in Germany and a GTI made in Mexico? in regards to the differences other than obvious engine parts, IE turbo ect.

Having owned both the GTI and now the R , the R seems better built on the interior, what is different in regards to the mechanicals

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi !
I know that the europe engine is different because it has MPI but i was searching a thread on forum And i didn’t find an answer.

Are there bigger differences beetwen motor internals like rods, camshafts . Etc ?
Since the implementation of WLTP (Worldwide Harmonisation Light Vehicle Test Procedure), UK spec R’s no longer have MPI. As WLTP also applies in Europe and some other countries, I dare say engines in R’s that are built for the European market also no longer have MPI.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
People keep telling my I'm crazy thinking this, but the interior build quality seems way higher on my '19 R vs '16 GTI I had previously to me too.

Having owned both the GTI and now the R , the R seems better built on the interior, what is different in regards to the mechanicals

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
side by side ETKA looks just the intake manifold,injection and single cat dp everything else is the same.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
People keep telling my I'm crazy thinking this, but the interior build quality seems way higher on my '19 R vs '16 GTI I had previously to me too.

Considering there are varying levels of quality between the exact same cars (one GTI is a "rattle snake" another being quiet and compliant) I would guess that this is actually true. The care taken to put the R together should reflect its super premium over the GTI, so it should feel better built.

In a factory setting the motivations of individuals can have a great impact on the finished product. Some unlucky people definitely get the Friday@6 PM level of quality built into their cars and others get the ace crew doing their absolute best.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Considering there are varying levels of quality between the exact same cars (one GTI is a "rattle snake" another being quiet and compliant) I would guess that this is actually true. The care taken to put the R together should reflect its super premium over the GTI, so it should feel better built.

Eh, it's the same car underneath the differences between the Golf/GTI/R.

I'm on my 2nd R, and the wife drove a '15 Golf TDI for a couple of years until Dieselgate. Her Golf was every bit as well-put together as either of my R's. It had a superior paint job to either (my first R's was pretty decent, 2nd one is awful). Both of my R's squeak & rattle more than her car ever did. Of course 19" wheels can have a lot to do with that too.

VW is no doubt using all the same modern robots to do welding in Puebla as they have in Wolfsburg. What is different though is where the parts are sourced. R's motor is made in a factory in Hungary that's been running for MANY years. GTI motors are built in Hermosillo Mexico in a fairly new plant. The Delphi infotainment brain in the R is made in Portugal. The Delphi unit in the GTI is hecho in Mexico. Same for headlamps and MANY other components. Does this matter? Maybe with some parts, maybe not? Maybe not at all nowadays? I dunno. But I'd have no qualms about buying a Puebla-built VW vs Wolfsburg or anywhere else nowadays. I wouldn't have said that during the '90s when Puebla was turning out junk. Those days are long gone.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
My 16 GTI was a rattle trap from day one, and while yeah.. the only option it had was LP ... it was pretty annoying driving something I paid good money for, and my wifes 2005 GTI is still tight to this day (obvioulsy not a German build lol). So I don't know what to think, but I will say as someone who's spent and spends a lot of time in Germany, I feel more connected to the R knowing it came from Wolfsburg :)

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
not wanting to do a mexico vs wolfsburg comparison, but. I noticed the difference right away in small interior items. For instance the air vents, were loose and cheap feeling in my GTI as well as the window switches. The R they have a glide resistance to them, the switches in my doors are planted solid and dont move around. SO far no squeaks in the door jam, but that may change with poor roads and 19's. I do believe there may be more care put into the R's which would justify the extra cost. At least the saying you get what you pay for seems to be holding true.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 2017 gti. And now have a 2018 R. I notice differences for sure. But I would expect a better built car (R) with lower production numbers ect

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I had a 2017 gti. And now have a 2018 R. I notice differences for sure. But I would expect a better built car (R) with lower production numbers ect

Why would the R be "better"? Both are just Golfs, run down similar production lines, on different continents. Other than the different upgraded performance components - same car. At least the R won't have sunroof issues.

CeeBeeKay