GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US GTI on the track

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
I am new here, so sorry if this is outside the forums guidelines.

Just wanted to share with everyone my experience with the MK7 GTI US version on a local road course this past weekend.
I have about 1K miles on my GTI, equipped with DSG and Lighting Pkg.

I do own a real race car '87 911 Turbo, that I race on a regular basis in the NW region with PCA. Because my race car was at a mechanics, I drove the GTI just to watch my buddies have fun with their Porsches that weekend.

Well, we do have what is called "track touring" during a lunch break, where you can take any car on the track and simply drive around at no more then 60 mph to show the track to your family member or anyone else for that matter.

Since I know most of the folks at our club I asked if it would be ok to take my GTI out and push it a little beyond the 60 mph limit. I was told "yes" but be careful.

I have to mention that it was about 39 F and drizzling rain, the track was very damp.

I had my car in the Sport mode, with all the traction controls on full. Shifting was all done by the DSG not by me.
I have to tell you all that I was very surprised, how well the car handled the track with the above conditions. I had the car up to around 100 mph on the straights, the DSG would very precisely downshift on braking going into turns and rev up the engine where the power was accessible at the track out of all the turns. The traction control would come on as soon as the front wheels would begin to slide out "oversteer" with the front wheel drive car that is very common. You could feel the front left wheel react as the brakes would be applied to it automatically in the right hand turns.
Overall a very cool ride and experience, I did not push the car to where I would normally drive, and of course being wet and damp the rain line is different then when it's dry. The brakes are great as well, the ABS never kicked in, however that is most likely because I never pushed the car hard enough going into the turns, it was simply too wet.
I will try to take the GTI, next year when the season starts out again in the dry and see what it does. I do like this MK7 a lot. It's a fun car and a real drivers car in my opinion, looking forward to winter and see how it does in those conditions.
For those of you that are familiar with few tracks around the Midwest this was at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, South Beloit, IL

Peter

Just my 2 cents here.
I very much enjoy this forum.

Internexus

Ready to race!
Great post Peter, welcome to the boards! Did you notice any negative aspects during your experience? I'd love to hear what kind of times you're able to put down in ideal conditions compared to some of the other vehicles you race out there regularly.

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
I will post some more observations/experiences next season. Unfortunately October is here in Chicago and most tracks are about to close for the winter.
In the meantime I am posting couple of links for you guys, a friend of mine lowered his MK7, and swears the ride improved quite a bit.
Let me know if anyone has any opinions on any of those:

ECS Spacer kit. Front (15mm) and rear (20mm) with bolts.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...ws/VW_MKVII_GTI_ECS_Flush_Kit_2015/ES2779804/

· VW Racing GTI Springs

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-Sport-Springs-MK7-GTI.html

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
Let's see:

Lower center of gravity + a wider track = ????? :)

As far as the ride comfort goes the VWR springs are designed to work with the OEM shocks, so although the ride is a bit firmer, it's a good/predicatble firmness that one would find in say a BMW M3.