GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US 2017 GTI Sport - Foglight retrofit?

spiker369

on air, don't care
Hey all,
I'm a current mk6 driver and thinking of upgrading. The Sport trim has me interested but I would love to be able to retrofit the foglights to it. Anyone know if it's possible or if there is a DIY anywhere?
Thanks in advance!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hey all,
I'm a current mk6 driver and thinking of upgrading. The Sport trim has me interested but I would love to be able to retrofit the foglights to it. Anyone know if it's possible or if there is a DIY anywhere?
Thanks in advance!
It's possible to do it sure!

Here's the foglights at Ecs tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswage...kRgQrbFkV3m9opzEv_xdG5_bW8H7L-IjPUaAo9I8P8HAQ

You'd likely need to do some wiring and vcds coding. I'm personally not sure where to get the info of what's needed to be done to get everything working.

I don't think that it's needed though. I currently own the "sport" trim and don't miss the foglights I had in my mk6 at all. The lighting package has a great cornering light that really lights up corners when you have your blinker on below 20mph.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
It's possible to do it sure!

Here's the foglights at Ecs tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswage...kRgQrbFkV3m9opzEv_xdG5_bW8H7L-IjPUaAo9I8P8HAQ

You'd likely need to do some wiring and vcds coding. I'm personally not sure where to get the info of what's needed to be done to get everything working.

I don't think that it's needed though. I currently own the "sport" trim and don't miss the foglights I had in my mk6 at all. The lighting package has a great cornering light that really lights up corners when you have your blinker on below 20mph.

Your blinker doesn't need to be on. At least not on my 2017 Sport.

I dont the miss fogs. The LP is insane good.

OP, I looked into this on my golf. You can get full authentic OEM fogs and harness on AliExpress. At least you could for the Golf. The tricky part might be that the BCM doesn't support it in the car and you need a different one. Coding can always be done. DV52 can help you with that.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Your blinker doesn't need to be on. At least not on my 2017 Sport.

I dont the miss fogs. The LP is insane good.
You're right the blinker doesn't need to be on, but the wheel needs to be turned several degrees for it to light up. The blinker being on helps to speed that up and turn the corner light on at speeds below 20mph.

And I know we're blowing it out of proportion a bit as that's just a small aspect of what makes the lighting package so good :)

Gareezy

Passed Driver's Ed
I would try to look for a 2016 with Performance Package first (and possibly Lighting Package if you can find that also). Best year because it comes with the updated MIB II infotainment system vs 2015 and it still has the locking glove box with felt lining. Not even sure what else VW cut from the 2017 to save money due to Dieselgate but there are probably other little things. Finally the 2016 is the last year for the 2 doors if you're into that (although there are some rare 2 door 2017s built before VW announced they were cut as well).

Or save a little more and get the '17 SE.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
$600? For just the housings? Yeesh.....

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I would try to look for a 2016 with Performance Package first (and possibly Lighting Package if you can find that also). Best year because it comes with the updated MIB II infotainment system vs 2015 and it still has the locking glove box with felt lining. Not even sure what else VW cut from the 2017 to save money due to Dieselgate but there are probably other little things. Finally the 2016 is the last year for the 2 doors if you're into that (although there are some rare 2 door 2017s built before VW announced they were cut as well).

Or save a little more and get the '17 SE.

I got some black sticky felt from Michaels and lined my glove box and cubby next to the steering wheel for ~$12.

Other than non-locking glove box which I realized doesn't matter at all, one thing i noticed as a cost cut is the 12V plug on the center console has just a metal ring instead of a light up ring (fine by me, less shit to break).

Wife has a 2015 Golf, I had a 2016 Golf prior to the 2017 Sport GTI, and thats all I've noticed so far.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
What I also like about the Sport, are the wheels and KESSY. This made it easier for me to purchase the car as opposed to trying to find a 16 S PP, LP, Manual in white.

The dealer had mine in stock and for a great price.

spiker369

on air, don't care
What I also like about the Sport, are the wheels and KESSY. This made it easier for me to purchase the car as opposed to trying to find a 16 S PP, LP, Manual in white.

The dealer had mine in stock and for a great price.

how much did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking? just got home from a test drive. :eek:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
$26,200 out the door.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
$26,200 out the door.

26,200 OTD?

So you got the $30,318 MSRP car for ~$24,000 if I subtract 6.75% for Raleigh, NC (where you indicate you're from) and subtract ~$450 for title/tags/doc fee (assuming that's remotely correct), landing at 26,200 OTD? That's ~$6,318 off MSRP

That's incredibly cheap. May I ask how? I managed $25,900 + tax/tags/title and thought I did great at $4400 off MSRP, especially for the Bay Area.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Another Raleigh peep, sure I'll see you around. I have a 16 S, 2 door LP/PP in white so holler if you spot me.