GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

URO Parts Aluminum Oil Pan

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Buying a steel or metal oil pan literally makes no sense.

Some of you say for peace of mind if the oil pan gets hit by something. Well, the OEM plastic pan is just as strong, and if the oil pan gets hit, whether plastic or metal, the pan and its seal is now compromised. If anything, the plastic oil pan won’t dent like a metal one would, so the plastic one is just better.

Just stick with the OEM plastic pan, unless you really like having leaking problems all the time...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Buying a steel or metal oil pan literally makes no sense.

Some of you say for peace of mind if the oil pan gets hit by something. Well, the OEM plastic pan is just as strong, and if the oil pan gets hit, whether plastic or metal, the pan and its seal is now compromised. If anything, the plastic oil pan won’t dent like a metal one would, so the plastic one is just better.

Just stick with the OEM plastic pan, unless you really like having leaking problems all the time...
Based on quite a few posts by members on the forum, the plastic pans crack when hit. So it's not so much the seal, it's that the steel pans dent and plastic will crack along the edges and corners. The cracks tend to be catastrophic in nature. So a dent might allow you to keep going, but a crack could see all your oil on the ground. :unsure:

There is also a different torque pattern and spec for steel pan with silicone vs plastic pan with gasket. Quite a few people don't follow that which is where most leaks come from. 🤷‍♂️

Having dented the trans pan already I think a steel pan might be worth a go, I have the Erwin manuals already so I have the install instructions for metal pans.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Based on quite a few posts by members on the forum, the plastic pans crack when hit. So it's not so much the seal, it's that the steel pans dent and plastic will crack along the edges and corners. The cracks tend to be catastrophic in nature. So a dent might allow you to keep going, but a crack could see all your oil on the ground. :unsure:

There is also a different torque pattern and spec for steel pan with silicone vs plastic pan with gasket. Quite a few people don't follow that which is where most leaks come from. 🤷‍♂️

Having dented the trans pan already I think a steel pan might be worth a go, I have the Erwin manuals already so I have the install instructions for metal pans.
How are people cracking the plastic pan? Unless something bounces up and hits it are they offloading the car or is their suspension so weak when the car hits a bump and bottoms out?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How are people cracking the plastic pan? Unless something bounces up and hits it are they offloading the car or is their suspension so weak when the car hits a bump and bottoms out?
Various things, one guy cracked his on a pothole, another hit a rock and some bottom out. Lowered or those that do light off roading tend to have the most issues with cracks. I tend to drive fire/service roads and it's pretty easy to bottom out at stock height with drainage ruts going slow.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie

I understand that the plastic pan would crack on impact, but on the same impact, the steel oil pan would either dent, crack, or warp, leaving the seal prone to leaking. In other words, it would need to be replaced.

So to save someone's sanity with the pan leaking out of nowhere, just keep the OEM, as it is much less prone to leaking.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Anyone knows the size of the crush washer for the drain plug on the aluminum pan?