GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upper timing chain cover leak. Powertrain warranty?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have a similar issue and get a bit of oil on my cyl 4 plug. My cpo expires in Feb so I'm taking it in on Friday as a free throw to try and get it remedied, but no chance they do anything with it.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Update: 2 dealers now say not a covered item. It is bizarre in my mind that a Engine component is not a Powertrain component. I asked them for a quote to get it fixed out of curiosity. We'll see how that goes.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Wow Quote $640. I will assess to see how bad this leek is soon and see if it is getting in the Plug area. if it is just seeping i will probably leave it until leaking. Will post any info.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Wow Quote $640. I will assess to see how bad this leek is soon and see if it is getting in the Plug area. if it is just seeping i will probably leave it until leaking. Will post any info.
That's not that bad man... Check the plugs and assess, like you said.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Petey any chance you have the bill statement after getting the warranty work done want to plead my case to them with evidence that it can be done under warranty.
I work at my dealer but this is a 100% warranty issue. It's leaking fluid at the timing cover that literally all VW's have. We do this job multiple times a day. Mine had a bad pan which isn't common but still covered, and it wasn't hit or cracked.

Everyone at my dealer knows my car is FBO, E30, catless, etc but this is a VW issue so you shouldn't have any problems.

1642854422591.png

1642854686225.png

Parts billed and covered under 5/60,000 Powertrain Warranty

1642854737719.png

1642854779717.png

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I work at my dealer but this is a 100% warranty issue. It's leaking fluid at the timing cover that literally all VW's have. We do this job multiple times a day. Mine had a bad pan which isn't common but still covered, and it wasn't hit or cracked.

Everyone at my dealer knows my car is FBO, E30, catless, etc but this is a VW issue so you shouldn't have any problems.

View attachment 236438

View attachment 236439

Parts billed and covered under 5/60,000 Powertrain Warranty

View attachment 236440
View attachment 236441
VW dealers are killing me. they are saying that this doesn't fall under any Labor opps that they know of and are afraid that they will be charged back for the job. Aly change you have this code I can tell them?

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
VW dealers are killing me. they are saying that this doesn't fall under any Labor opps that they know of and are afraid that they will be charged back for the job. Aly change you have this code I can tell them?
What code are you talking about?

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
What code are you talking about?
This is what they said:

The labor ops that I would need to check are not listed there. His story reads that the bolts are leaking not the gasket. I need to see what labor ops he was using to get it covered. All I see are the parts and the first parts listed look like the gaskets for the timing cover.

I just showed this to my boss and he said that he would not be able to cover it because we can’t find any labor ops that show that the bolts are covered by the gasket is not.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Update. I cleaned the area where there was oil. Barely any there. I think the dealer was over emphasize the leak/seep of the oil. I am keeping an eye on the area in question. I also replaced the spark plugs this weekend and 0 oil in or around the coil packs. I'll see how it goes. 59,321 miles now.

Reactions: krs

Socjo7

Car(s)
2017 Golf Alltrack
This thread helped me ask the right questions when my dealer told me that they observed leaking at the timing chain cover! At first, when I inquired about it being covered under warranty, the service person handling my account researched and told me it was covered. However, he called me back and told me that the head technician said it was not covered under warranty because gaskets are a maintenance issue and I was informed that it was only a little seepage and not a big deal and we should monitor it in future visits... If anyone has uncovered another avenue where this has been successfully covered under warranty, I'd love to hear it before mine runs out in October!