GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading stock shocks/struts to Bilsteins B4 shocks/struts or VWR, is it worth it?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Has anyone tried the B4 or VWR shocks/struts. I have DG springs now and was wondering how rough they are. Im on a budget rn and I this looks like the most affordable routes

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
B4's are meant to be OE replacements. Their valving for compression and rebound isn't as aggressive as the B8's. Not sure if using lowering springs with B4's will void the lifetime warranty or not.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
B6 are meant for stock springs.
B8's are for lowering springs. They have a shorter shaft and "revised valving" compared to B6.
Oops. I meant to say B8's, but wouldn't the B6's suit the DG springs just fine? It was the popular replacement option for factory M sports suspension on my BMW.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
If I were to get struts n shock kit do I need to get anything else to stop the clunking noise Ive been getting

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Oops. I meant to say B8's, but wouldn't the B6's suit the DG springs just fine? It was the popular replacement option for factory M sports suspension on my BMW.
Sure you can, just like using the stock dampers. But it affects how the rebound and compression behaves from the additional preload and shortened rebound & compression characteristics... but.. does it affect their lifetime warranty? I don't know, it's something Bilstein decides on when you make your claim

bfury5

Autocross Champion
B6s would work with DG springs just fine. The valving for the B6 and B8 is identical, but the B8 has a shorter stroke meant for lowering springs. B6 is good for any drop less than 1" (I got all this info when I called Bilstein to ask for clarifications on the two)

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I bought some B8s, new front mount strut pair, bearings, n new bolts for the install. I have no idea how this setup is gonna be with the DG springs. Hope it improves handling on the roads.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
When we are talking about B4s or OEM dampers. Does anybody know what is the difference in compression and rebound between Audi and Golf damper? Or maybe shaper of the curve?

LVE2DRV

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in the same predicament... looking to get VWR spring and considering pairing them with Bilsteins B8 shocks and 034 bearings/top hats.
Anyone familiar if this set up is a worth while option?
Daily driven work car and figured VWR springs give that minimal drop but not sure if B8 being shorter shock will lower it more

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
I am in the same predicament... looking to get VWR spring and considering pairing them with Bilsteins B8 shocks and 034 bearings/top hats.
Anyone familiar if this set up is a worth while option?
Daily driven work car and figured VWR springs give that minimal drop but not sure if B8 being shorter shock will lower it more
No, it won't lower it more. From other comments, it also seems that B8 has the same rebound and compression characteristics as B6s.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Any idea what makes the left side of the car lower than the right side. I got the B8s and DG springs. The left side looks super clean with the subtle drop but the right looks higher making the gap more visible. It’s very minor but im ocd. What could cause this

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Any idea what makes the left side of the car lower than the right side. I got the B8s and DG springs. The left side looks super clean with the subtle drop but the right looks higher making the gap more visible. It’s very minor but im ocd. What could cause this
The car's weight is not even left to right or front to back.

If you want it to look level, you need coils.