GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading from 05xx to 0635 (on Delphi units)

gmauto

Hi. I've recently found a method on doing a NAR->EU conversion and I got it to work on one car, the one which was the NAV variant. I've got another car, which has the same firmware version as the other one before I did the conversion + upgrade, but it is the PLUS variant. On the first car, upgrading it worked fine (after having messed with the binary), whilst on the other it fails due to the DownloadManager binary being too old:
Code:
The version of DOWNLOAD MANAGER:(554) is not compatible with the version requested by metafile(600)
The original attempts were just trying to upgrade from that 05xx version -> 0635 (NAR) -> 0635 (EU) and that did work on the first car, tried the same procedure on the second (with the appropriate variant of the firmware) but nothing except that error.
I have now tried using the 0631 (EU) version, but that still has got the same requirement. I have also checked, and the NAV variant doesn't have any requirement for the DownloadManager version.
I tried using the DownloadManager from the other car, even if it was basically completely different in terms of bytecode, and that resulted in it almost working but failing to read the metadata of the actual, specific update. Tried it with EU 0635, no change.
If you've got any ideas, please let me know. I just need to upgrade it to the next major version (06xx) and I can do everything from there. If someone has got a P06xxD, PLUS variant, if you could please send your DownloadManager binary it'd be of great use.

Last edited:

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hi. I've recently found a method on doing a NAR->EU conversion and I got it to work on one car, the one which was the NAV variant. I've got another car, which has the same firmware version as the other one before I did the conversion + upgrade, but it is the PLUS variant. On the first car, upgrading it worked fine (after having messed with the binary), whilst on the other it fails due to the DownloadManager binary being too old:
Code:
The version of DOWNLOAD MANAGER:(554) is not compatible with the version requested by metafile(600)
The original attempts were just trying to upgrade from that 05xx version -> 0635 (NAR) -> 0635 (EU) and that did work on the first car, tried the same procedure on the second (with the appropriate variant of the firmware) but nothing except that error.
I have now tried using the 0631 (EU) version, but that still has got the same requirement. I have also checked, and the NAV variant doesn't have any requirement for the DownloadManager version.
I tried using the DownloadManager from the other car, even if it was basically completely different in terms of bytecode, and that resulted in it almost working but failing to read the metadata of the actual, specific update. Tried it with EU 0635, no change.
If you've got any ideas, please let me know. I just need to upgrade it to the next major version (06xx) and I can do everything from there. If someone has got a P06xxD, PLUS variant, if you could please send your DownloadManager binary it'd be of great use.
Where did you get the firmware? Also why would someone want to convert to EU? More features?

gmauto

Not sure if it's against forum rules, but i got it from https://mibsolution.one. It's a huge repository with firmware for all the different versions and models for MIB2, and some other stuff on it too.
The only real reasons to convert to EU is to obtain European maps and then also have the radio stations show up correctly and have all the European languages. There's no real feature difference between the two.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
if what you just shared works you may have solved an issue i have been having for months on trying to find an update for this head unit.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Whoa this is sick. How do I know which firmware and map file works with my MIB2? Doesn't seem like there's much instructions on the site?

gmauto

Whoa this is sick. How do I know which firmware and map file works with my MIB2? Doesn't seem like there's much instructions on the site?
You basically just need to keep the same major version of firmware to be able to convert, at least for Delphi units. There should be instructions for other units there too, but on Delphi you keep the same version, e.g.: P05xxD (NAR) -> P05xxD (EU), P06xxD (NAR) -> P06xxD (EU), etc.
If you can't find the same firmware version, you can follow the same instructions for patching DownloadManager but without changing the region and you can try to update the major version that way. It seems that the PLUS variant of the firmware actually hard depends on a newer version of InstallationManager for updating to a newer major version, while the NAV variant does not.
Try stuff out and take backups so that you can revert if you mess anything up! :)
As for maps, if it's the same region it should work. I don't know if there's US maps there but EU maps perfectly well on my converted car.

Last edited:

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yay I went to 0757! I just wish I could use toolbox for some customization or something.

Is there anything I can do with what on the site? I don't have a nav unit so maps wouldn't help me.

Thanks 1000% for just inadvertently helping me!

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
You basically just need to keep the same major version of firmware to be able to convert, at least for Delphi units. There should be instructions for other units there too, but on Delphi you keep the same version, e.g.: P05xxD (NAR) -> P05xxD (EU), P06xxD (NAR) -> P06xxD (EU), etc.
If you can't find the same firmware version, you can follow the same instructions for patching DownloadManager but without changing the region and you can try to update the major version that way. It seems that the PLUS variant of the firmware actually hard depends on a newer version of InstallationManager for updating to a newer major version, while the NAV variant does not.
Try stuff out and take backups so that you can revert if you mess anything up! :)
As for maps, if it's the same region it should work. I don't know if there's US maps there but EU maps perfectly well on my converted car.
Is there a way to tell if mine is the Delphi unit? Mine is like this but software version is now 0879. Of course i'd love to update the NAR maps too.

Yay I went to 0757! I just wish I could use toolbox for some customization or something.

Is there anything I can do with what on the site? I don't have a nav unit so maps wouldn't help me.

Thanks 1000% for just inadvertently helping me!
What did you use to update it? Just drag the files into the SD card?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I know mine is a delphi because the how to install on the toolbox thing told me

What I would do is hold menu for 5 seconds and get system info from there.

Then you can just match it like MST2 for the first bit.

As for getting it to a fat32 sd, you can just extract the zip as is to it. Its should be a folder or two and a metadata file. :D

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I know mine is a delphi because the how to install on the toolbox thing told me

What I would do is hold menu for 5 seconds and get system info from there.

Then you can just match it like MST2 for the first bit.

As for getting it to a fat32 sd, you can just extract the zip as is to it. Its should be a folder or two and a metadata file. :D
Either I'm looking at the wrong spot or I don't see the Toolbox on that site? Managed to follow your instructions and got into the service menu though. Got the following info:

Installed software train version: MST2_US_VW_P0879D
Installed software MU version: 0879
Part number: 3Q0035876B
Software version: H29.319.115_STD2NAV_NAR
Model: GuideModel_29.319.30
Software Base: H29.319.115-201909261449

I didn't see any mention of Delphi or TechniSat Preh while going through the service menu. Though matching the firmware versions, it's probably a Delphi unit and I have the latest one? There's definitely newer maps. Just gotta figure out how to install them.

Edit: I tried installing the MIB2 toolbox on my Canadian 2018 GTI Autobahn which has Discover Pro and got the following error: The release info file could not be read. Error when reading/opening the file. Parse error, invalid metainfo signature.

Actually it might be Discover Media?

Last edited:

gmauto

Either I'm looking at the wrong spot or I don't see the Toolbox on that site? Managed to follow your instructions and got into the service menu though. Got the following info:

I didn't see any mention of Delphi or TechniSat Preh while going through the service menu. Though matching the firmware versions, it's probably a Delphi unit and I have the latest one? There's definitely newer maps. Just gotta figure out how to install them.

Edit: I tried installing the MIB2 toolbox on my Canadian 2018 GTI Autobahn which has Discover Pro and got the following error: The release info file could not be read. Error when reading/opening the file. Parse error, invalid metainfo signature.

The last letter of the software train version tells you which model it is. If it ends with D, like it does for you, it's Delphi. If it ends with T, it's Technisat, P if it's Preh, etc.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Toolbox is a like a root access thing that can customize and when going to install it I found my unit (delphi) was not compatible.

Also you appear to have a version newer of firmware at least then what the website has. Maps might be upgradable IDK tho.

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there a way to tell if mine is the Delphi unit? Mine is like this but software version is now 0879. Of course i'd love to update the NAR maps too.

What did you use to update it? Just drag the files into the SD card?
do you happen to have the 0879 update file around? It has disappeared from the server and would love to give it a try

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
hi, i also have a Delphi MIB2 Plus and i am having the same problem as you, where the DownloadManager does not recognize the version.
I only edited the InstallationManager file.

Where do i find the file download manager? does it change as installationManager?

Thank you