GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgraded street pads for Golf

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
I'm looking for an upgrade for street driving and I have only found few pad choices for the golf 288mm.

My goal is a bit more available friction deeper in the pedal with some more heat resistance. I don't really care about dust.

It the past on an r53 mini i have run the carbotech 1521 and stop tech sports. I liked the lower bite of the two that got stronger with more pedal pressure as i found them easier to modulate.

The top finds so far are;

EBS redstuff
Stoptech street
Porterfield r4-s (custom order)

There a number of ceramic pads that may offer a mild to no upgrade and the akebono euro would probably be my top lateral choice.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Jonathan

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I like the EBC yellow for street and autocross use. I noticed a big difference in the bite, and no more brake fade on the faster courses.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I run the Porterfield R4-S daily. They’re a wonderful pad. Can take anything you throw at them on the street. They get pushed to their limit on the track (I switch to R4 up front for track and keep the R4-S in back at the track).
Not too much dust to boot and silent operation.

For a higher initial bite the Hawk HP Plus… but they come with more dust and squealing.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
FWIW-
I run the Akebono as a street pad-STREET PAD only..The only issue is their initial cost.
The provide good initial bite and pedal feel and almost NO brake dust and NO brake noise. They are IMHO an excellent daily driver/street pad.
Part No 3557817KT. I purchased them from ECS ( pn ES#3677996)
I run them with the Centric High Carbon rotors-125.33098 front and the 125.33131 rear on my 2015 GTI-S
I even use these on my little hot-rod S4 Audi but change rotors and pads for the few track days I attend.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think you'd find EBC Yellowstuff to meet your needs.

Reactions: krs

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How are the yellowstuff and r4-s on a freezing cold mornings?
Yellows on freezing mornings take a few stops to get some heat but it's not bad at all.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I can’t even notice a difference really by the time I get the few blocks out of my neighborhood. Gets below freezing here during the winter, so I’d say they are good.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I ran Red Stuff on my R56S, worked really well. I can't find where on their site I saw it, but EBC doesn't recommend Red on the GTI/R.
Leaning towards, Yellowstuff, R4S or 2500s myself.