GOLFMKV

Upgraded Lower Control Arm

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Yeah, the truck had 6" full travel, biased for more compression. Never hit the bump stops once I installed the 850's, and the ride while a little stiff was very comfortable. I do enjoy the amount of travel the stock GTI suspension has, but I think the main problem is that the stock shocks/struts can't dampen it correctly. I'm installing Koni sports with the H&R OE springs.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I'm still convinced that stock or VERY close to stock ride height is the way to go. People under-estimate the usefulness of wheel travel. There's way too much time to be had hitting curbs. Avoiding them is roughly +3 sec at VIR for reference.

Also @GoatAutomotive you missed the 034 LCAs. I think I'm going to be giving those a shot next and pulling the ball joints off since they made the car feel weird. Might be bump steer, might be roll center, but they gotta go.
Got me! I forgot these were a thing. I haven't found anyone running them, so I have no data on strength or longevity of these. 034 products have been very hit or miss on this platform: some stellar, some removed early on and sold off in the classifieds.

Here is the link for folks:
https://www.034motorsport.com/dynamic-rco-control-arms-audi-volkswagen-mqb-and-mqb-evo.html

Pros:
-up to $200 cheaper than SuperPro Al LCAs

-Density Line (stiffer) rubber bushings for better rigidity and less deflection than OE

-Slotted where the ball joint mounts, for nearly infinite control of negative camber at the bottom of the knuckle. (up to -2.0* extra if I'm reading their specs correctly).

...I believe SP and WL's Al arms are "fixed" where what you get is what you get on their ball joint location (which determines your camber and caster changes)

-Modest but appreciable 0.5* caster increase won't create rubbing issues for most oversized wheel and tire big baller drivers

Cons:
-Unproven rifle at this stage. Could be great, could be terrible.

...Half the folks running 034 DL strut mounts, for example, love them. The other half fought noise issues and removed the 034 mounts. Ditto on the famous 034 aluminum torque strut (dog-bone) insert that fails almost as fast as my Whiteline poly LCA bushings.
🤗

-Not nearly as shiny or pretty as the SuperPros (I said it, fight me.)

-I don't currently own a set to test...
😏 😈

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1) I'm jealous! 😍

2) This is why you love your cup kit:

Those of us running GTIs w/even mild drop springs aren't seeing anywhere near that level of useable stroke. Your setup (and apparently several GSW owners) just has more travel and a higher static ride height built in.

This also supports why Derhase is killing it at VIR with stock GTI springs and upgraded "everything else".

Conclusion:

"I need more stroke..."
1696608944476.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Just a small add:

I had to go back to stock LCAs temporarily in order to get my car back on the ground and mobile.

I've been running the stockers since 9/24, and here is what I notice, coming from Whiteline LCAs w/full poly mounts, snd no other suspension changes:

1) Any turning situation where the wheels aren't pointing straight ahead, I can feel the slop in the LCA bushings. We're talking parking lots, doing u-turns with minimal throttle input, etc. It's garbage. 🤢 😖

2) Under power, even from a roll, the car feels super sketchy as the toe angle is all over the place from the rubber-chicken LCA mounts.

3) I have to leave fairly gentle from digs to avoid upsetting the front end geometry.

4) NO change in NVH for better or worse. Transparent.

5) I cannot WAIT to get the new BFI RS3 mounts installed today!!!

Stock LCA bushings are trashier than a Kardashian marriage. UPGRADE.

That is all.

-Tex

tigeo

Autocross Champion
1) I'm jealous! 😍

2) This is why you love your cup kit:

Those of us running GTIs w/even mild drop springs aren't seeing anywhere near that level of useable stroke. Your setup (and apparently several GSW owners) just has more travel and a higher static ride height built in.

This also supports why Derhase is killing it at VIR with stock GTI springs and upgraded "everything else".

Conclusion:

"I need more stroke..."
View attachment 292886
If I had a GTI or R I wouldn't touch the springs as they are already a sport type spring....dampers and send it....DerHase has proved this isn't a limiting factor on track. I realize most do it for the fender gap reduction...on the wagons the R springs are popular add-ons with B6/8s.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Hotchkis bars were dropped by UPS this morning. Now I have an itch to pull the Quickjack off the wall and start working on it... only if I didn't have an appointment in a few hours.

1696702220489.jpeg

1696702236604.jpeg

1696702249242.jpeg

bouba

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Here's my review I left on the Whiteline KTA 252 Lower Control Arms.
Hope this helps someone, just wanted to share my personal experience and opinion!

I installed these LCAs on my 2017 GTI SE about a week ago. Installation was a simple process, but moderately difficult to reach and wrangle the parts as well as properly torque the bolts while on floor jacks. Took me and a friend (both moderately mechanically inclined) about 3.5hrs.
Took the car to the shop to get an alignment right away, as it was pulling to the right. I'll see if I can post my alignment sheet later.

Regarding the part itself, the quality is immaculate, and the improvement it has had on the way my GTI drives and handles is immense. Feels like a completely new car, with a sparklingly clear on-center feel, crisp feedback to the steering wheel, and a dramatic increase in stability in turns. Adds a slight bit of increased effort in the steering, which I'd say is halfway between the "normal" and "sport" settings. I've had no real increase in NVH, just more communication from my tires to the steering wheel. Completely changes the experience of driving the car - makes it so engaging and rewarding to steer. Gives such an immediate response when you turn the wheel, it feels almost telepathic. Absolutely should have come from the factory like this.
Single biggest change I've made to the car since installing a 91 octane tune.

Would absolutely recommend this to everyone with an MQB that this would fit.
I'll try to remember to write again if durability becomes an issue in the future.

Cheers, and happy driving!

Edit:
-I've got stock wheels and tire sizes, as well as stock suspension otherwise. No rubbing whatsoever. Also, makes no noises/creaking for now, 1 week out. I've driven about 400 miles since installing them.
-Honestly I have no downsides to the LCAs, just was a hassle to do the installation. Would have been a lot easier on a lift (quickjack or 2 post).
(edited again to add pics)

Attachments

• IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's my review I left on the Whiteline KTA 252 Lower Control Arms.
Hope this helps someone, just wanted to share my personal experience and opinion!

I installed these LCAs on my 2017 GTI SE about a week ago. Installation was a simple process, but moderately difficult to reach and wrangle the parts as well as properly torque the bolts while on floor jacks. Took me and a friend (both moderately mechanically inclined) about 3.5hrs.
Took the car to the shop to get an alignment right away, as it was pulling to the right. I'll see if I can post my alignment sheet later.

Regarding the part itself, the quality is immaculate, and the improvement it has had on the way my GTI drives and handles is immense. Feels like a completely new car, with a sparklingly clear on-center feel, crisp feedback to the steering wheel, and a dramatic increase in stability in turns. Adds a slight bit of increased effort in the steering, which I'd say is halfway between the "normal" and "sport" settings. I've had no real increase in NVH, just more communication from my tires to the steering wheel. Completely changes the experience of driving the car - makes it so engaging and rewarding to steer. Gives such an immediate response when you turn the wheel, it feels almost telepathic. Absolutely should have come from the factory like this.
Single biggest change I've made to the car since installing a 91 octane tune.

Would absolutely recommend this to everyone with an MQB that this would fit.
I'll try to remember to write again if durability becomes an issue in the future.

Cheers, and happy driving!

Edit:
-I've got stock wheels and tire sizes, as well as stock suspension otherwise. No rubbing whatsoever. Also, makes no noises/creaking for now, 1 week out. I've driven about 400 miles since installing them.
-Honestly I have no downsides to the LCAs, just was a hassle to do the installation. Would have been a lot easier on a lift (quickjack or 2 post).
(edited again to add pics)
Those add a LOT of caster....are you lowered?

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
9.0* caster on the right front. Those are big boy numbers! 💪

Thanks for posting your experiences + Photos. These reviews are always helpful to hear. 👍

tigeo

Autocross Champion
9.0* caster on the right front. Those are big boy numbers! 💪

Thanks for posting your experiences + Photos. These reviews are always helpful to hear. 👍
That's rubbing territory if you are lowered/running wider wheels/tirs.

bouba

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Those add a LOT of caster....are you lowered?
Not lowered at all! Totally stock besides the LCAs, stage 1 tune, and ARM intercooler. Lol yes it's quite a lot of caster.

Ive included a photo below of the wheel to show how forward it sits. Likely would rub if I had been lowered or was running wider wheels+tires. Don't quite want to, as I like the dynamics of how it feels for now, and I'd rather work my way up in driving skill until those become limiting factors, not the goof behind the wheel. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58