GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade path help!

KingNysos

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.8 tsi
Hi, I am fairly new to this form so I'm sorry if any of my questions are answered already.

I have a 2016 Golf 1.8 tsi with a 5mt and I'm trying to decide what mods\tune I should go with. I have a cts intake on the way. My end goal is to (if possible) have a is20 swapped daily driver that can survive winters in Southern Ontario. I've looked into both uni and apr (I have a uni dealer local) and I've read a bit about jb4 but I don't fully understand how it works lol

I guess my question is if this is possible and if so what recommendations or tips would you give me?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You don’t need the intake at all, so for about the same money you could’ve bought a used is20.

Minimum mods would be a dog bone insert, intercooler upgrade, is20, downpipe and tune (APR > Uni).

Tires will make or break any set up summer or winter, so dedicated sets are the way to go vs all seasons.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You don’t need the intake at all, so for about the same money you could’ve bought a used is20.

Minimum mods would be a dog bone insert, intercooler upgrade, is20, downpipe and tune (APR > Uni).

Tires will make or break any set up summer or winter, so dedicated sets are the way to go vs all seasons.

^^^^^^^^
This

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
For mine, I first bought good tires (I got Michelin ps3+), then I upgraded dogbone mount and then engine and trans mount

then I tuned to stage 1 unitronic, it feels as fast as I need currently, and can always go farther later. I’m getting a new SMF clutch next week, which I hope will help with weird engagement issues.

anyway, that’s what I’m doing!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
"Computer: engage tractor sounds"
I have poly mounts and a SMF and my car sounds like the Allis Chalmers tractor at the peach orchard back in 1973.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I have a golf sportwagen 1.8 TSI and use a JB4. I think it's a.great place to start. Logging capabilities are useful and educational. There are many folks on the forum who kindly give feedback on logs, when asked.

I also have an is20 waiting for install. I'm hoping to push boost a bit more once installed. JB4 can accomodate this.

Ultimately, I might flash but I like the flexibility of the JB4. Unlike a flash, you can resell it.

Beyond power, a second set of wheels and summer tires is great, if you have the space to store them.

A rear sway bar upgrade is an easy install and makes a noticeable change in handling.