9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Current car:
2017 5dr GTI w/ LP & PP 6MT
21k miles
6 yr warranty
Pros: maintained by me personally so I'm familiar with the mods, paint care, basic maintenance, etc.

Prospective car:
2016 5dr R 6MT
28k miles
Warranty unknown
Pros: looks to be lowered and tinted
Cons: 2 owner car (if that's a con), unfamiliar with general maintenance, 1 year older w/ 7k more miles
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Volkswagen-Golf-R-Los-Angeles-d2131_L2163#listing=238574178

Is that a downgrade or an upgrade to you all? I owe $19k on my car if it makes a difference.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It would also depend on how long you are planning to keep the vehicle.

If you are planning to keep it for a long time (say 3 years or more) i would be skeptical about buying a used vehicle with unknown history and warranty.

Flippy

Ready to race!
In the words of Bruce Arians, "No risk it, no biscuit". Yeah, it's going to be an upgrade in terms of power and handling but there is potentially a ton of unknowns coming with this purchase. You need to decide if you're going to be that much happier with the R to take on that added risk.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Ideally I'd like to keep my current GTI or future R for as long as possible. The reason for wanting the R is obviously for the power. Also, as much as I really like the night blue, I can't help but regret my decision of not getting red. The R also seems to be similarly modded, suspension, tint, shift knob from what I can visibly see so I wouldn't be out much on my mods.

After thinking about it, the spread between what I owe on my GTI and what the R is going for, doesn't really make sense financially but I'll ask the dealer if the cars still under warranty and if I can take it for a PPI then try to work th numbers.

Thanks all

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ideally I'd like to keep my current GTI or future R for as long as possible. The reason for wanting the R is obviously for the power. Also, as much as I really like the night blue, I can't help but regret my decision of not getting red. The R also seems to be similarly modded, suspension, tint, shift knob from what I can visibly see so I wouldn't be out much on my mods.

After thinking about it, the spread between what I owe on my GTI and what the R is going for, doesn't really make sense financially but I'll ask the dealer if the cars still under warranty and if I can take it for a PPI then try to work th numbers.

Thanks all

Jb4, intercooler and if you’re feeling adventurous a downpipe and the gti will be quicker than a stock R.

Unless my mk7 got totaled I wouldn’t move into another MQB (R, A3, S3) as they’re too similar. To each their own, but I’m paying mine off and keeping it indefinitely. Either an M3 or S4 will be in addition to it, not replace it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Two people had the R since 2016?

Good chance the ECU has been flashed if the car is otherwise modded. Even if it's flashed back to stock that might cause a warranty head ache in the future.

Other wise if it's not TD1'd then it should be carrying the balance of the factory powertrain warranty but the bumper to bumper is likely expired by this point.

I dunno, I'd prefer one owner before me especially since the car is only 3 years old. I'd keep searching.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I've decided not to go through with it. Doesn't make sense at all financially and like others have said I can obtain power goals for much less than the $9k difference for the golf r.

Great point about the potential ecu tunes that could have been installed.

Thanks anyway to all those who opined.