GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade Brake Pads and Rotors

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Hey everyone,

So I took my Golf to the dealer, and they suggested I need new rear brake pads, rotors, and rear wheel bearings.

They're trying to charge $800 for the rear pad and rotor replacement and $1,100 for the rear wheel bearing.

I'm assuming I can get these replaced for much cheaper elsewhere.
If so, can anyone give me a dummy guide of exactly what I can purchase to install somewhere else? And, do I need to replace the front brakes or other wheel bearings while I'm at it?

I tried searching, but most results were performance-oriented for tracking. I don't mind upgrading performance if it's comparable to OEM price, but I'm definitely not tracking or tuned.

2017 Golf TSI
27k miles

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
If you have a place to work on the car it is a DIY, even for first timers with just a few tools. Big savings, and as you already know dealer charged 2-3x what a good independent shop will for labor.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Definitely not the hardest DIY. Get an impact screwdriver for the set screw though especially if you’re in the rust belt. No experience with the bearings though, but it kinda feels like they’re double dipping on labor, unless rear bearings are crazy expensive and difficult to replace.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Having replaced my rear bearings twice there not that bad once you get all the brake stuff out of the way it’s just removing the dust cap and then the one bolt but that one bolt can be a pain since it’s torque to 150 ftlbs plus 90 degrees and you need a 18 mm triple square for it. To do both of them on jack stands was less then 2 1/2 hours with basic hand tools.