2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Turmeric Yellow. How awesome.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I'm jealous over the new tech on the inside. Looks great.

No need for everyone to hate on it just because we are stuck with an "old" R now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Eh, pretty much every other year or so the car you have is outdone by the next model, of that car or something else. Unless you're made of money and can swap a lease every two or three years, 'tis the price you pay for having anything.

At least it's not like the 1950s-1970s in the USA where Detroit perfected the system of planned obsolescence that Alfred Sloan pioneered at GM. Incremental cosmetic changes each year, combined with marketing campaigns that made you feel like a schmuck for driving last year's model.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I'm jealous over the new tech on the inside. Looks great.

No need for everyone to hate on it just because we are stuck with an "old" R now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Don't be jealous of the virtual cockpit, I hated it in the Audi, just a gimmick and more to go wrong. As for the rest, it is supposed to be a drivers car not a mobile phone. More needs taking out not adding.:(

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I don't care for the way it looks, the headlights are ok but the side front intakes are too fussy. The new digital interior is very nice I'm sure, but I am a sucker for analogue dials.

One of the great characteristics of our cars is how discrete and conservative the styling is. Almost everyone thinks its nothing more than just a 'Golf'! This facelift looks more aggressive to me

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
One of the great characteristics of our cars is how discrete and conservative the styling is. Almost everyone thinks its nothing more than just a 'Golf'! This facelift looks more aggressive to me

Agreed.

Our current model is the ultimate sleeper.
No one except the true car enthusiast knows about it.:)

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
I think the front end on this new car looks considerably better. Not too concerned w/ Virtual Cockpit, but I wouldn't mind a larger screen. If we get this car for the 18 MY, that should line up nicely with the end of my lease on my 16 GTI. Will make for a nice transition.

Other option is replace both my GTI and my wife's Rav with a new Alltrack or Tiguan, and get a 997 911 myself.

wilsonj

Ready to race!
I think the front end on this new car looks considerably better. Not too concerned w/ Virtual Cockpit, but I wouldn't mind a larger screen. If we get this car for the 18 MY, that should line up nicely with the end of my lease on my 16 GTI. Will make for a nice transition.

Other option is replace both my GTI and my wife's Rav with a new Alltrack or Tiguan, and get a 997 911 myself.

Do they usually announce the US time frame at a certain point?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't be jealous of the virtual cockpit, I hated it in the Audi, just a gimmick and more to go wrong. (

More to go wrong? Uh, no. It's solid state, no moving parts, as opposed to a traditional cluster, with all kinds of moving parts, needles, springs, LEDs/bulbs, etc. The virtual cockpits should be FAR more reliable, and cheaper to produce too. Airplanes have been moving to this technology for years, it only makes sense that cars would adopt it eventually too.

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
The virtual cockpits should be FAR more reliable

Yes they are. I've had a lot more analogue gauges changed than MFDs in aircraft! With a MFD you can tap straight off the digital data bus and do the rest in software unlike with analogue gauges.

However, software is key here, I doubt VW will be DAL A like aircraft gaugues so I'm sure we can expect some software glitches over the years.