GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Update MIB2 Software and Maps?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Has anyone found out how to update the software for the MIB2 and the built in maps? Aside from asking the dealer and probably paying a hefty price of course. There's a few software bugs with the MIB2 I'd like to get fixed and new maps are always nice.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Has anyone found out how to update the software for the MIB2 and the built in maps? Aside from asking the dealer and probably paying a hefty price of course. There's a few software bugs with the MIB2 I'd like to get fixed and new maps are always nice.

In North America the only option is to have the dealer do it or buy a new map card, in the rest of the world it can be done for FREE here,

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads#/

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would imagine that if you complain to your dealer about your radio, assuming you're in warranty (or have a good relationship with your service center) you might convince them to check for the software update, as a courtesy.

Poster above me is spot-on for maps though. The card gets "married" to your radio/car. If the relationship is good enough you could say you took it out by mistake, thinking it was your SD card with music on it and have since misplaced it. Take note of the first 3 digits of your SD card (these probably match the part number of your head unit) and the last letter(s) after the nine digit part number, these determine the version. Ask your dealer to look up the SD card for your car and see if what ETKA calls out is a newer version than what you have.

If so you should be able to buy it from them and have them set you up. Or if they're really cool let you source it yourself, still need them to set it up for you though. I bought my card on eBay but the seller was a Volkswagen service center in a different state, they just had it cheaper than my local dealer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

stonefish

If you have a discover pro MIB2 you cannot update the software yourself as the licences for things like Carplay or Android Auto will need to be updated too and only VW can do that.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
If you have a discover pro MIB2 you cannot update the software yourself as the licences for things like Carplay or Android Auto will need to be updated too and only VW can do that.

This is 100% not true.
If you have a hacked unit: you will lose the component protection/FECs
If you have MIB2 High (Discover Pro), you can download map updates here:

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vw...73e&navi=a7208a1f-88e4-4be9-b8c4-5cb805deaa59

If you want to install new firmware, let me know what version you have right now, I have a couple of updates for MIB2HIGH that you can install.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

stonefish

I guess I bought into the myth of dealer only updates. I'm surprised firmware updates are not freely available from the same vw download site as the maps. @chillout do you know where I can get firmware 814 of higher for the MIB2 Discover Pro??

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I guess I bought into the myth of dealer only updates. I'm surprised firmware updates are not freely available from the same vw download site as the maps. @chillout do you know where I can get firmware 814 of higher for the MIB2 Discover Pro??

I'll PM you a download link. :)

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Hi chillout, I’m really curious about this too. I have the 8-inch screen, are you saying there are updates available? If there are then please let me know how I could update it. The Bluetooth is skipping from time to time and maybe an update could solve it.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hi chillout, I’m really curious about this too. I have the 8-inch screen, are you saying there are updates available? If there are then please let me know how I could update it. The Bluetooth is skipping from time to time and maybe an update could solve it.

I'm from Europe so I don't have access to US updates, but these systems are definately capable of being updated. I'll see what I can do to find MIB2 firmware for USA

Marcsoup

I'm from Europe so I don't have access to US updates, but these systems are definately capable of being updated. I'll see what I can do to find MIB2 firmware for USA

If you (or anyone else reading this) can get your hands on the US MIB2 STD firmware, I'd be hugely appreciative. I've been trying to find the software since I saw your post about the modified green menu, but I've had no luck with any of my contacts at the local VW dealerships. I am hoping to port it over myself if no one else steps up to the plate.

Last edited:

MagLite

Car(s)
VW Tiguan NF
Hi Chillout,

I have MIB2 high on my Tiguan NF.
Thank you for your tools. It's very difficult to find any information about hacks in internet.
My MIB got 1161 fw from factory, is it possible to update it to new one (maybe 1367)?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hi Chillout,

I have MIB2 high on my Tiguan NF.
Thank you for your tools. It's very difficult to find any information about hacks in internet.
My MIB got 1161 fw from factory, is it possible to update it to new one (maybe 1367)?

Yes, 1367 is possible :)
I'll drop you a PM.

People don't share much about hacks. I think in the first place this is because some people make BIG money on component protection/FEC hacks.