GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upcoming inspection, emissions worries.

H_Rice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Hello, currently I am in TX and just had some worries about passing emissions. Currently I am running a X-Force catted downpipe and a stage 2 tune from EQT through an AP.

• I don’t get CEL’s very often without a spacer so how much would I benefit from having one?
  • I believe the EQT tune disables the second sensor, so would this automatically pull a code?
  • Whenever I check for any codes through the AP without a CEL I usually will see both “O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean” and “O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich.” So it seems these codes are stored but not pulling the light.
  • Do stores codes effect the emissions testing without a light?
  • How do I make sure the emissions readiness monitors are good to go?
This is the first time I’ll be taking in the car for inspection with any modifications, so I am very new to this. Just looking for some advice before hand to make sure I pass.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you have the current EQT tunes, Cobb made it so that other tuners that tune on the Cobb platform can't disable readiness/O2 sensor any longer so you would have a CEL anyway from those tunes running a catless or inefficient catted DP. On an older tune yes, they are doing that. You would have to flash to stock, drive it to set readiness but then you will have a CEL for the O2 sensor...that's what the spacer is for. In the end you can still fail a visual for the non-OE cats/DP and the spacer...it's all a risk to some degree.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No visual inspection in Texas.
You can fail one variable and still pass so AFAIK, you don't have to put back to stock. I would read the guidelines above

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If this helps, I run a CTS catted with an O2 spacer on a custom tune with emission readiness. I pass inspection without an issue, no cell. Just need to check with Cobb to ensure no cell before you have them check with the OBD scan.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
If this helps, I run a CTS catted with an O2 spacer on a custom tune with emission readiness. I pass inspection without an issue, no cell. Just need to check with Cobb to ensure no cell before you have them check with the OBD scan.
Did you flash back to stock? Or were you still running your custom tune while doing emissions?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This doesn't work everywhere though as the DP itself and the spacer both a no-go in many states where they do a visual.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I've passed inspection in Texas for two years now. No cat, no muffler, clearly modified..no one cares. If you're in garbage Travis county, they might do a closer inspection. I'm in Hays, have had zero issue.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did you flash back to stock? Or were you still running your custom tune while doing emissions?
I left the car in the state it sits now and passed, no issues.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
No cat, no muffler

eng_pl_3M-Peltor-Bulls-Eye-I-Ear-Muffs-Red-14709_1-3820675303.jpg

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
^^^ Ha! Nice. No, its not bad at all. Ultimate Racing has an add on resonator option when purchasing their downpipe. That add on resonator and stock resonator together make the noise completely reasonable to me, but I suppose some would find issue. I cannot stand how quiet it was with the muffler and think dual exhausts on a 4cyl is absurd, so I just hacked it off, welded on a crappy stainless pipe. I find spending money on expensive exhausts to be absurd as well, but I know I'm in the minority. To each their own.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
I lived in Austin (Travis co)with EQT Stg2 and passed inspection without issues for years. I had a catted CTS dp with vibrant J spacer at the time. Just make sure no CEL and readiness is met. Now I live in Hays Co., the grass is just greener.