GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Unusual" Replace Key Battery Incident

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
One other tip; Keep your keys as far away from your car as possible. It really helps.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My car occasionally (once a month-ish) tells me to replace the fob battery even though I just did it a few months ago and as far as I can tell it's still working just fine

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have batteries on hand but I keep the second fob empty.

By the time you need it, the battery in it will probably be dead also. 😐

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I paid the $8 at the dealership to get it replaced, they warranty their parts for a year, keep the receipt in the glove box.... and they've replaced 3 batteries for the same $8 over the past 3 years.... lol
Every year. They see u coming and they suck their teeth whispering “yo, look who’s back.”

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Since they are so thin I just keep one in my wallet (wrapped in blue painters tape). You can simply replace it on the go if it dies while you are out. At least on Mk7.5 R keys the cover just pops off the FOB with no tools to replace it. No more worries. I just don't want to scratch my car trying to get the stupid lock cover off door handle.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
This thread appears to be the newest one related to key fob, so let me try to get some help here :)

My GTI is 2017 and still with original key fob battery (no kessy), last year it started to show up the message saying to replaced the key fob battery but suddenly the message didn't showed up any more; this year the message started to appear again so I bought a 2025 Duracell and tried to replace, red led working on the key fob but I couldn't unlock the doors, tried the reprogramming procedure of the golfwagen channel (
) but no success.

Installed back the old battery and after reprogramming it worked. New Duracell battery shows 3,3V and the old one shows 3,01V. Does anyone have any clue of what I'm doing wrong?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This thread appears to be the newest one related to key fob, so let me try to get some help here :)

My GTI is 2017 and still with original key fob battery (no kessy), last year it started to show up the message saying to replaced the key fob battery but suddenly the message didn't showed up any more; this year the message started to appear again so I bought a 2025 Duracell and tried to replace, red led working on the key fob but I couldn't unlock the doors, tried the reprogramming procedure of the golfwagen channel (
) but no success.

Installed back the old battery and after reprogramming it worked. New Duracell battery shows 3,3V and the old one shows 3,01V. Does anyone have any clue of what I'm doing wrong?
Do you have a second key fob?

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I bought a 2025 Duracell and tried to replace, red led working on the key fob but I couldn't unlock the doors, tried the reprogramming procedure of the golfwagen channel but no success.
Just a quick feedback: bought a new Duracell 2025 and it worked; the previous Duracell was bought 1 year ago I think and I was carrying in my backpack, somehow it got weak?

I'll leave the spare key without a battery to avoid any discharge by time, when needed I will buy a new one and use it

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just a quick feedback: bought a new Duracell 2025 and it worked; the previous Duracell was bought 1 year ago I think and I was carrying in my backpack, somehow it got weak?

I'll leave the spare key without a battery to avoid any discharge by time, when needed I will buy a new one and use it
I've had this happen too.

I keep the extra batteries in the fridge. If you keep a spare battery in the car and it's subjected to spring and summer temps that battery might be ko'd by the time you need it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

You'll risk not having a key fob for 1 day when your new battery dies. You're better off just choosing a date, like January 1st, and replacing both batteries then whether needed or not.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Replace at a year in January like said before.
Went for a run a week ago. FOB was dead when I got back. Car was parked in the middle of nowhere on a back road. Had to use a rock (because I forgot how to use the key) to open and remove the car key cover. Then I stupidly removed the covering over the steering wheel ignition thinking there was a key cylinder underneath. Nope. It was a sensor and I just needed to hold the FOB near it.
Lesson learned.