GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Unusual" Replace Key Battery Incident

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Maybe two months ago I got the fault that one fob battery was low and I cleared it with VCDS without changing the batteries. Yesterday it reappeared, so I did another VCDS scan, and this time there was no faults. The message was in the MFD and the Infotainment "Messages" section. So there was no way to reset them.

I pulled both batteries. I checked one and the voltage was low, so I replaced both with new ones that read about 3.29 volts. The old one was about 3.00. I checked to make sure both started the car. The error message in the Infotainment was gone.

So it seems the system forces you to change the batteries and only allows you to clear the faults once with VCDS. Perhaps it was because both batteries were low?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I wish mine would let me know. The FOB just died and I couldn't get in the car because of that stupid lock cover on the drivers door handle.
I never saw any warning.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
I wish mine would let me know. The FOB just died and I couldn't get in the car because of that stupid lock cover on the drivers door handle.
I never saw any warning.
Happened to me 1 month ago with my 2019 GTI. 20ish months in, using same fob all the time. Just died after locking car 30 minutes earlier to grab a coffee.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I got the message in the MFD but it's so short it's easy to miss, and the one in the Infotainment only shows when you go in and select that screen. I scan the car the beginning of every month to see if there are any faults, including that one, partly for that very reason.

Anyone else surprised to learn their key is Key #2? Wife LOL when she learned she was #1.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I replaced the battery and expected the message to go away. It's still there. I'll try replacing other battery and reseting faults.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
My door sometimes does not open when I grab the handle but, when I press unlock on the FOB, it unlocks. So I'm sure I'm getting close to needing a new battery.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I learned today it's not a bad idea to replace your spares battery at the same time too. I couldn't find my keys this morning, but I knew where my spare was so I grabbed that. I go to start the car and it says something like low battery hold key near ignition. The car starts and I get to my appointment, but the keys are dead so the doors won't lock. I wasn't really sure if it was gonna let me start the car again a 2nd time either. It didn't work right away, but I got it.

clempot911

I learned today it's not a bad idea to replace your spares battery at the same time too....

Yup. I had the battery in my 'daily' fob die suddenly the other day so I thought 'no problem, I'll grab the spare'. Not. It's been my experience that anything over 12 months and I'm on borrowed time. I'll have to just get in the habit of replacing both batteries every year.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yup. I had the battery in my 'daily' fob die suddenly the other day so I thought 'no problem, I'll grab the spare'. Not. It's been my experience that anything over 12 months and I'm on borrowed time. I'll have to just get in the habit of replacing both batteries every year.
That's what I do. Actually I replace the batteries in everything I have that uses batteries the first of every year. Easier to remember that way.

vwlotech

Go Kart Newbie
I paid the $8 at the dealership to get it replaced, they warranty their parts for a year, keep the receipt in the glove box.... and they've replaced 3 batteries for the same $8 over the past 3 years.... lol

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I swapped mine a few weeks ago. Does the dealer use CR2025 or CR2032? Cause 2025 won't last long. Going to the dealer is a huge PITA imo especially just for a fob battery replacement which only takes like one min to do at home and can run 2032's.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I swapped mine a few weeks ago. Does the dealer use CR2025 or CR2032? Cause 2025 won't last long.

I replace mine (both) every 18 months with 2025's. Never had any issue with them running down prior to 18 months - purely preventative. Also, always avoid cheap bulk Ebay or Amazon batteries - many are counterfeit or expired.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I swapped mine a few weeks ago. Does the dealer use CR2025 or CR2032? Cause 2025 won't last long. Going to the dealer is a huge PITA imo especially just for a fob battery replacement which only takes like one min to do at home and can run 2032's.
Dealer uses 2025. I couldn't get the cover to stay on with the 2032.