GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unsprung brake weight comparison – OEM PP, Macan, Stoptech BBK calipers & rotors

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Unsprung brake weight comparison – OEM PP, Macan, Stoptech BBK calipers & rotors

Parts of this comparison may have been elsewhere but I wanted to list the rotor, caliper and pad weights per wheel for these three brake setups. Note, the Stoptech BBK includes the 355mmx32mm two piece rotors and four pot ST40 calipers.

Brake weights
lb
lb total
Stoptech caliper
7.7​
Stoptech bracket
1.4​
Stoptech pads
2.4​
Stoptech rotor
16.8​
28.3​
Macan & pads
11.6​
PP rotor
22.0​
33.6​
PP caliper & pads
11.0​
PP holder
7.6​
PP rotor
22.0​
40.6​

E
ven though the two piece rotors are larger, at 355mm, they are 5lbs lighter than stock rotor at each wheel. The Stoptech caliper, bracket and pads are also lighter, 11.5 vs 18.6lbs. (No photo of PP rotors since they were topping my 22lb limit scale.)

I installed the Stoptech BBK this past week (pretty easy) and will run them at Laguna Seca next week. I’ll post how they work.

Cost of the Stoptech BBK is about $2240. Macan calipers plus Porsche brake lines: about $650. Pads are extra, depending on your choice. Stoptech comes with street pads that are clearly marked not for track use so track pads shown are extra cost.

Re cost: since I expect there’ll be some discussion about cost, I want to say that money and performance has its own value to each of us. I’ve had previous experience with Stoptech BBK and liked how they perform. In addition, I know at the track I chew up calipers (dust boots, seals and cooking caliper color and, at times, fluid) and rotors. For me, two piece rotors last up to four times longer than one piece rotors and everything stays much cooler.

Bern

Attachments

• Macan caliper.jpg
    Macan caliper.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • PP caliper.jpg
    PP caliper.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • PP holder.jpg
    PP holder.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • Stoptech bracket.jpg
    Stoptech bracket.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • Stoptech caliper.jpg
    Stoptech caliper.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • Stoptech pads.jpg
    Stoptech pads.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • Stoptech rotor.jpg
    Stoptech rotor.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20211020_191651165.jpg
    PXL_20211020_191651165.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 120

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Should be a great setup with the RS29 pads and 2 piece rotors. With Macan and DS2500 pads, I had a bit of pad fade after several consecutive 1:46/1:47s at Laguna, but your setup should manage heat much better, so I am hopeful you will have zero fading.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Where’d you find that kit for that cheap!

based on those weights, seems the best cost to weight ratio would be the Macan setup, but get the Nuespeed 2 piece rotors, that would be very similar weight to the Stoptech I’d recon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Seems like an amazing deal for a BBK with 355 2 piece rotors?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Seems after spending a ton of time reading this stuff (Macan content) that they mainly have the advantage of cost, especially for those with GTIs or Rs with 340mm rotors. I have a GSW that came with 288s upgraded to 312s. Once you toss the larger rotors in and want to do a lighter setup so go 2-piece, a BBK starts to look good especially with all the stuff folks are doing to those Macans to get good pedal feel (grease, valves, etc.). I did the APR BBK and it's amazing. Interesting weight table here, the APRs aren't the lightest but the 34mm rotors are f'ing huge!
Capture.JPG

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Where’d you find that kit for that cheap!
I got them from BuyBrakes.com. You'll need to call them as the Stoptech BBKs are not currently listed. They took about two months to come in. I installed the Macans as a stopgap.
Bern

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I got them from BuyBrakes.com. You'll need to call them as the Stoptech BBKs are not currently listed. They took about two months to come in. I installed the Macans as a stopgap.
Bern
Ah got it. I called them a few days ago about that same kit you got and was quoted $200 more than you, Just found a used 360mm Tarox Super Sport kit in really good shape that I think I'll probably end up going with..

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Will, btw, I have a set of Hankook RS4s being installed tomorrow. Looking forward to better sidewall stability, as you've mentioned.
Bern