GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unpopular Opinion: Rear sway bars don't live up to the hype.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I know which one, it the one that 8 times out of 10
When I use it it’s got a bundle of cars on it that won’t go above 30mhp 😂 and I’m just riled the whole curve wanting to go faster 😂
My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use on-ramps to get up to speed (or just a smidge faster ;)...) what the heck is wrong with people, thats what on-ramps are for

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use on-ramps to get up to speed (or just a smidge faster ;)...) what the heck is wrong with people, thats what on-ramps are for
When I was growing up in Dallas, the main north south road, Central Expressway (Hwy 75) had onramps that were literally all of 300 feet long. My folks had a Cherokee with an anemic AMC V6 that made about 90 hp. The number of times people in front of me would dawdle onto the highway and I just drove up the incline back onto the service road were innumerable. There was no way that poor Jeep was going to accelerate into traffic if you didn't have room to floor it straight down that little launch ramp. Thankfully, just as all cars were getting quicker, Dallas finally elongated those stupid ramps. Also reminds me of the stupid traffic lights LA had on their entrance ramps. I'm not sure that I ever actually stopped for one of those when they were operating.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Exactly and then they try to merge at 45 MPH with traffic going 75 MPH. It screws up the flow of traffic on the highway.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I kind of like it when that starts to happen. That onramp onto Summerlin Parkway west from Rampart that does a full 180 direction change is my favorite for seeing where the limits are - if there's no one in front of me. Know where I mean?
Will have to try that soon. I've always used Durango when down in that area but looking at maps Rampart looks way more fun lol

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
What's your goal. What's your current suspension. What's your plan for suspension?

There is no exact answer of add x, y or z. You have to look at every piece.
Daily driver- I see track days 4-5x a year. Stock suspension. Re71R tires.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
dude the whole point of on-ramps is to maintain a 30 mph speed limit so you can let the people on the highway know you're there. Then they can let you move into the left lane (the slow one).

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Here in NJ some entrance ramps are like a mile long.

Instead of using this distance to see if the merge is clear I see people drive 30 down the whole ramp and then come to a complete stop at the ramp end yield sign.

Pretty infuriating when just by turning my head I can see in 1 second whether I'll actually have to yield or not way before I get to the end.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Here in NJ some entrance ramps are like a mile long.

Instead of using this distance to see if the merge is clear I see people drive 30 down the whole ramp and then come to a complete stop at the ramp end yield sign.

They must think they're on the Merritt/Hutchinson/Cross County/etc.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Daily driver- I see track days 4-5x a year. Stock suspension. Re71R tires.

Easy. Big RSB, factory toe front and zero rear, -1.8 rear camber. Car was very happy to rotate in this config for me with both my non-PP and my PP.

Add RS3 brake deflectors, good fluid, good pads.

If you're feeling froggy, Eurosport Camber Kit. -.8 more camber in front, no NVH added. CS and CSS use R springs. As long as you're doing camber kit, might as well. You can find them for sale as take offs from R guys and gals that have gone to coils.

And there you have it. Not much different on the street, capable of 3 or 4 track days a year.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Exactly and then they try to merge at 45 MPH with traffic going 75 MPH. It screws up the flow of traffic on the highway.

That's why I make sure I'm doing 110mph by the end of an on ramp.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Easy. Big RSB, factory toe front and zero rear, -1.8 rear camber. Car was very happy to rotate in this config for me with both my non-PP and my PP.

Add RS3 brake deflectors, good fluid, good pads.

If you're feeling froggy, Eurosport Camber Kit. -.8 more camber in front, no NVH added. CS and CSS use R springs. As long as you're doing camber kit, might as well. You can find them for sale as take offs from R guys and gals that have gone to coils.

And there you have it. Not much different on the street, capable of 3 or 4 track days a year.
When trying out different setting did you notice more rear rotation with more rear camber?

Cause that would explain how my car is very easy to rotate, rears at -3.5 at ride height, with even the rear toe in at .10

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Before you start screaming at me saying "You haven't tracked it" or "you obviously haven't driven it hard enough" or "you must be blind to this it's so obvious," please don't.

I know that this is like the number one thing we do to this platform. Everyone seems to love it. Part of the reason why I got it was because so many people felt like it was "night and day" or like it "should have been like this from the factory." I got a 26mm setup because I figured it would make a really noticeable difference. I was excited because I was waiting to be blown away by the difference. It's been about 3 months now with it installed. Verdict?

Not really feeling the hype.

Now, credit where credit is due, it's not like it made no difference. I did feel the stiffness in the back change and I did notice that the car stayed tighter in turns. It wasn't a 100% waste.

However, it never made me feel like it gave the car exactly what is was missing. The perfect comparison I think could have made was the difference between the front Diff in the Performance Pack cars. Having gone from a non-perf pack car to one equipped with the LSD, that extra pull in the turns was a legitimate "wow-this-actually-improves-the-car" moment. I never, ever got that with the sway bar. I even feel like a smaller setup wouldn't make any difference at all.

I know it's a little thing in the giant pool of modifications, but I'm a little unimpressed. Maybe in an ideal environment I'll notice a significant difference, but for now I'm not feeling like this was a major thing. I get that it's like a stepping stone before you stiffen up your entire suspension setup, and that makes sense, but I don't think it's really that much of an improvement.

Idk maybe I'm just the only one who feels like this and I really do drive too slow.
I agree with your premise, but for different reasons.

There is a reason why only a big rear bar does not deliver.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ay-bars-or-both-and-more.384453/#post-7650381

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My favorite onramp. 300 feet? lol. Shoulder you could use to get more speed if needed? Nah. Uphill? Check. The merge endpoint is that black sedan. Everyone is going 75+. Good luck!

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.085...4!1sbl73fDEe4Smm27FwL_FA2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
This one is mine. Gorge Blvd used to look like the surface of the moon and route 8 is the busiest highway in the area.. They've extended the ramp quite a bit since my fiance moved out of her apartment down there but it used to be all of 500 feet on a 90 degree turn
1626803696525.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I enjoy my H&R 25mm bar on my Sportwagen - less body roll and better cornering is how I feel it. Does it take it from plowing to tail sliding? Of course not....still understeers but just a bit less.